This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Oft Asked Question

Why do you homeschool? I am asked this on a regular basis. I have given many answers. Some of them include:

We felt led to homeschool before school was an issue. We knew when they were born that it was an option we craved. We prayed about it and have felt led to do so. As they’ve grown we see we want to be our children’s teacher. It feels like we are separated in so many things, i.e. children here, adults there, men here, women there—we like the fact homeschooling keeps us together as much as possible.

As we’ve grown in our journey we’ve seen we are able to teach to the boys’ strengths, build up confidence in weaker areas, and move at appropriate times for them. It appears both sons may have been poor candidates for sitting quietly at a desk and standing in line a lot. They can focus when something has their attention, but need outlets and release times to have physical play in between.

Socialization is important to us—we want to be in charge of that too. We don’t want a false sense that 30 of their closest age-mates have a better understanding of the world around them than we do. We would like them to be able to talk to people of any age with courtesy, respect and hopefully interest. Exciting it has been to see this work out. My sons have shown enthusiasm meeting a 5 month old baby and seniors of various stages of health. The side affect of this is that they don’t realize some grown-ups are not well socialized and find it very disconcerting to be spoken to by a child who does not see them as automatic authority figures, who is not intimidated by their size, and who truly feels their equal and competent to engage in conversation beyond name, age and favorite movie. My experience with homeschooled children is most often the child is able to look me straight in the eye, speak of their interests with confidence and detail and be interested in what I have to say. I am sure that is not 100% the case, but it has been my fortunate experience.

A side benefit is that we’ve not had piles of homework after activities and been able to adjust our schedule due to the previous day’s demands or health issues. Mean mommy that I am, reading rarely gets left undone even on “sick” days, LOL. If they feel well enough to watch the tube, they certainly won’t be strained reading a book.

Speaking of “sick days”…We are on round three, maybe four of “the creeping crud” aka the respiratory viral junk that has plagued us for a while. Just when we start to improve it mutates. Ugh…well since I have claimed “relaxed and eclectic” status for a long time now it has helped me not feel as stressed if we sleep a bit later and are working up until supper (we break a lot), but part of me would like to rise earlier and finish earlier. Part of me still insists that we should join the more “organized” camp and roll out at 7 and be done be 1 or 2. I am sure that would involve going to bed earlier…me included. Hmmmmmmm……..well maybe something to ponder after we are feeling a bit better.

Yesterday’s joy was listening to Roo’s piano playing. That 9 year old fingers can manipulate the keyboard with such mastery often leaves a tear in my eye and my jaw on the floor. Walking Boo through his lesson time reaffirmed my belief that he will be no less amazing. He will play differently, it is obvious, but he will move me too, in fact he already does.

For today’s journey:

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
And to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus says the Lord!”


Refrain
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more!

O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Refrain
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.

Refrain
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
ilt be with me to the end.

Refrain
Words by Louisa M.R. Stead & Music by William J. Kirkpatrick

No comments: