This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Herding Cats

Basketball—third time’s a charm!

Yesterday was Roo and Boo’s third time for homeschool group basketball. Once again I must say the mom in charge has unlimited patience and is great with the kids. But I did overhear her tell someone it was the equivalent to “herding cats.” She’s got that right. But she does it well.

Roo and Boo were most anxious to get to basketball because of last week’s fiasco getting there. I hadn’t added that chronicle to the blog because I had just shared the fact I melt down with the world and didn’t want to wave that laundry yet. I’m a bit better now.

Last week’s adventure was due to a surprise bout of snow and the whole city went berserk.

MapQuest says it should take us about 30 minutes to get from our home to basketball. I say they’ve never driven the traffic. I’ve been told I am a bit OCD about being on time and I allow an hour for the trip. Well last week we got on the road and AN HOUR AND FORTY MINUTES LATER we arrived quite shaken and stressed. A gravel truck overturned, there was another wreck in our way, and in other news a different free-way had a near forty car pile-up. I was happy to arrive at all, but the boys were reduced to less than 20 minutes of play. And they were incredibly sad. They accepted it well, but I felt so bad to see their disappointment.

So this week, we started out even earlier than I usually do so that the boys might have some time before class started to shoot some hoops and hang out with the other kids. Driving was uneventful if you don’t count the arguing over the Jedi characters in an imaginary game that occurred. Roo (who inherited my compulsion for early arrival) never asked once if we were going to be late. Boo only used the high-pitched whine once and I was only slightly disheveled. Success.

Basketball was once again a great experience. And I am glad that I have allowed us to join with this loose-knit and relaxed group of homeschoolers. But I am thankful that I don’t have to try to herd the cats.

1 comment:

Bss said...

Basketball does sound like fun! We have a goal and the kids like to play, but I know it would be more fun to play with other kids. I'm glad your second trip went much more smoothly than your first.