This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, March 9, 2007

More Reading

Besides reading aloud to my boys they have been returning the favor and reading aloud to me. This has been a great relief to my throat sometimes and a really good skill for the boys to learn.

Not by nature a patient person, I have usually just borne the brunt of all read alouds by my choice. I get fidgety over stumbled on words and mispronunciations. Well, it was time to get over my weirdness and let the boys have a stab at it. Roo and I have actually been taking turns at reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at his request. I am glad I’ve read it before because we pause often for much laughing at all the mishaps and go off on tangents and bunny-trails asking lots of questions. But he’s having a great time and I am impressed with his improved inflection and animated reading.

Boo is reading at least one if not two books to us each day. Usually a Dr. Seuss and a DK Level 1 Reader. This child will most likely grow up to be an actor. There has been no need to suggest a variety of “voices” or variations in voice. Boo is an entertainer. He may be moving up to Level 2 readers by the end of next week. This from the child who “can’t read.” Gotta love it.

The only pitfall to having your child read to you, is if you are tired you might find the tables turned and you might get a little to cozy and find yourself nodding off…

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.



Technorati tags:

4 comments:

DebD said...

I hate to admit but I am also not so patient with my kids when they are struggling to read. Sometimes it just depends on the time of day. But, I wish I was better at it. Thanks for the encouragement

Bss said...

I have been known to fall asleep, too, during reading lessons with Patrick. During one of these lessons, I was running my finger under the words as he was reading when I nodded off. My finger stopped under a word and didn't move on, so he sat there and read that word over and over. After he looked up and realized that I was snoozing, he brushed my hand away and finished the page. Now, he won't let me help him anymore. And, I've discovered his reading pace is much faster and more natural sounding without my help! LOL Just like your son, Patrick is also very animated while he reads. All of those, "Oh! Oh!'s" in the Dick and Jane books are cracking me up.

Bss said...

I have been known to fall asleep, too, during reading lessons with Patrick. During one of these lessons, I was running my finger under the words as he was reading when I nodded off. My finger stopped under a word and didn't move on, so he sat there and read that word over and over. After he looked up and realized that I was snoozing, he brushed my hand away and finished the page. Now, he won't let me help him anymore. And, I've discovered his reading pace is much faster and more natural sounding without my help! LOL Just like your son, Patrick is also very animated while he reads. All of those, "Oh! Oh!'s" in the Dick and Jane books are cracking me up.

Bss said...

Sorry about the double post! :s