This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, March 23, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday--Sour Cream Banana Bars

Sour Cream Banana Bars


Overwhelmed with Joy hosts Favorite Ingredients Friday. I have always been a little hesitant to join over there because I just have not been making anything good—or rather, anything that required a recipe.

I love new recipes. I have a library of recipe books, but I have been very lazy about utilizing them. I am admitting here that one of my goals for 2007 was to try a new recipe every week. So…March is almost over and I must admit. I have failed. So…with that said I am going to start fresh and learn from these ladies and share the recipes I know to be tried and true. Thanks OWJ for hosting this! Just the gentle nudge I needed.

This week I did bake Sour Cream Banana Bars. I had bananas that were turning and these are always favorites. I will own up to the fact that I vary the recipe each time I make it depending on what I have and mood. But here is the base form:

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla (I am pretty liberal)
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6-8 mashed bananas
1 cup chocolate chips (again I like a lot)
1 cup sour cream

Cream sugar and butter. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, mixing completely. Add mashed bananas and sour cream.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes/or until a toothpick comes clean from the center. I use a 9X13 glass baking dish. I got the recipe from my dad but when he bakes these he uses cupcake pans and the “Honey check and see if the muffins are done.” method. Works for him.

You could substitute nuts for the chocolate—but why anyone wouldn’t want another shot of chocolate in there day is beyond me. I suppose you could add nuts and cut back on the chocolate or just add nuts and leave the chocolate alone. I am partial to Ghirardelli dark, semi-sweet, but if you have a preference for something else you just go ahead and use that.

Off to visit these inspiring cooks!!

7 comments:

Jammy said...

Sounds wonderful!!

Eagles Wings said...

oh yeah that sounds wonderful...
Thanks for stopping by mine...yeah our family loves it...even the two year old twins :-)
I know I just love church cookbooks!

ChupieandJ'smama said...

Oh my that does sound wonderful! I love finding ways to use those bananas that no one has eaten. I have 2 sitting on my counter right now.

annie said...

My husband would LOVE these!
blessings~
Annie
My Life as Annie!

Rae said...

Yummmmo especially with the chocolate! Can't wait to try these. Thanks for sharing! =)

Michelle said...

this sounds delicious! I'm going to try this the next time the commissary has a big bag of bananas on sale!

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I'm so glad you decided to join us! Your Sour Cream Banana Bars sound delicious. I think I'll bake a batch for my neighbor, Hetty. It might cheer her up. I have some bananas turned bad too that will be just perfect for this!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!