This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Family Adventure--Wal-Mart

I love my DarlingCaveGeek. I really do. But to take him to Wal-Mart with me is not my favorite thing. Going to Wal-Mart in general is torture to the poor man and am not sure why we ever do it. Possibly that our minds are slipping and we forget the last hundred times before were rarely a good idea.

What is the problem shopping as a family? For starters, he parks in the wrong place. I have my own parking place at Wal-Mart don’tcha know. I am there so much that there is a parking spot just for me. And they told me that if I will make just one more visit each week, they will name an aisle after me. Okay…I exaggerate. Just a bit. But I do always park in almost the same exact place.

I don’t want the parking spot by the door. I don’t mind walking a little bit. What I want is that parking spot near the cart return.

This odd little quirk was born when the boys were infants and toddlers. It was fed by the terrifying stories of cars being stolen with children in them. So I always park by the cart returns.

When they were younger, I would not put the children in until the groceries were loaded and I would put the cart in the return and carrying Boo and holding Roo’s hand I would then buckle the boys in.

Now they get in, I have auto-locks on both vehicles I load the groceries and keep the alarm on the remote handy. I am prepared if nothing else. But I digress, as I am wont to do. The point is I park by the cart return. The one by the garden center. That way I can tour the seasonal items when I first get there. Every. Time. I. Go. It’s one of my small pleasures. Humor me. If I can’t go to Hobby Lobby I go through the garden center. A good day is going alone, stopping at Hobby Lobby on the way and then going through the garden center. I am digressing again, aren’t I?

DCG drives around looking for the closest parking spot to the front door. The front door. This might take twenty years minutes. What is wrong with that man??? Then he makes a mad dash in and the race is on. I have purposely ambled slowly. Slower and slower until he is so far ahead of me that he cannot possibly hear me and then stopped. And stood there. Just to wait to see if he will notice that the boys and I are not with him. He’s gotten quite far without noticing.

Now what is odd is that not only does he lose the fact that he has traveling companions, but also he rarely has a clue why we are going there. He never has the list. The list is my department.

Where is it that the man is headed in such a hurry? Well to the only place in Wal-Mart I avoid like the plague. The electronics section. Forget that we came for soup and crackers. Forget that we need milk and cheese. Health and beauty aids? Pshaw. It is the electronics aisle for him.

So usually we make a deal. He takes the boys and checks out all the techno-geek cheap stuff, the movies, the games and takes the boys to the toy section. And I do the dirty work OOooops get the groceries. Then we use our cell phones to find each other and discuss the fact that we really don’t need anything else and wind our way to the checkout.

That would be where one of us usually takes the boys to the car and the other purchases the life-sustaining merchandise from this acreage of retail. If I get the joy of taking the boys to argue incessantly wait patiently in the car…I have to remember where it is that he parked. And what vehicle we took. If I get to stand in line for ten hours ten minutes waiting to pay, then at least I can put the cell phone to good use once again and ask him to stand up by the car and wave at me so I can get out of the place.

There is nothing that says "family adventure" like a trip to Wal-Mart.

8 comments:

Bss said...

Over here, it's Carrefour.
I miss Wal-Mart!!!
Regardless, it's always a very trying experience. lol

Jennifer said...

Oh, my husband will NOT go to any Walmart, Target etc. Seriously, he just won't go. Occasionally he will come to Costco, but he hates that, too.

Yeah, I learned that cart return tip recently, too. It doesn't matter if I'm three spaces closer to the door if I'm far from the cart return once I unload.

Amberly said...

I'm exactly the same way about parking at Wal-Mart or Target or anywhere else I might have a cart full of stuff--give me the space beside the cart return!! As for the family trip, sounds about like us in Wal-Mart when Hubby decides to tag along! :)

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I hear you about the parking spot. I always park in the same place. My husband always parks in the same place, but somehow these two places are not the same place! How can that be??

JennaG said...

I rarely go to Wal Mart with my hubby, but when I do--he never parks where I would. I'm like you, I park near the cart return. He parks in strange places. I did have the honor of going with him to wallyworld today after our lunch date! He did ok parking today!

Linda said...

Oh this is a dajavu moment!
It 100% reminded me of the last time I took my lovely to WalMart. The whole time I kept thinking, Lord why did I consent to him tagging along. He kept reminding me of how this was stretching me.

Thanks for the laugh with you,
Linda

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi joy: cute post. you made me smile. i loved the wait patiently fight part, too.

you sound like you have discovered how to find peaceful moments and to let them linger. good for you. i love it when i don't have to feel like i am in a hurry.

i'd let you have my parking spot by that area any day :)

all things good to you and yours today :)

JennaG said...

I don't feel like my dad's house is home at all--he moved to Florida two years ago and I've only been down there once--it's kind of strange to not feel like you're home when you are at a parent's house.