This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, April 30, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday

Annie at My Life as Annie is starting a new meme--Time Travel Tuesday and I thought I would play!

She writes, "Welcome to the first edition of Time Travel Tuesday. In another attempt to get to know all my fellow bloggers a little bit better, I thought it would be fun to learn about your past. Each week I invite you to join in remembering a certain age from your past.
This week we will focus on the age 12! What was a popular song & movie when you were twelve,what is a memory you have from that age?"

Okay Annie, and anyone else who doesn't know enough about me after the 100th post and the weird and still weird posts. You asked.

When I was 12 Jimmy Carter was president. It was the USA’s Bicentennial. The Winter Olympics were in Innsbruck. Dorothy Hamill won a gold medal. Barry Manilow’s I Write the Songs was the song of the year. Mary Tyler Moore was the top comedy. Rocky was the best picture.

My family had moved to a new town and I really was not on my way to popularity. My sister who was then 7 somehow became my best friend after I was awful to her for the previous six. I loved the house we lived in. My dad was the manager of one of the local grocery stores. We had a black toy poodle named Snooky Bear.

Other movies from when I was twelve: Freaky Friday, Ode to Billy Joe, All the President’s Men, The Bad News Bears, Logan’s Run. I saw all of those.

Other songs from when I was 12: Silly Love Songs, Paul McCartney and Wings, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John and Kiki Dee, Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry, 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon, Afternoon Delight, Starland Vocal Band, Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen, Misty Blue, Dorothy Moore.
Go visit Annie and share some of your history!

8 comments:

Coach J said...

Great stuff!! Are you and your sister still friends?
Blog question, how do you underline?

annie said...

Fun memories! I remember a lot of that too. Snooky Bear sounds sweet, I had a chocolate tiny poodle named coco. Thanks for playing along.

DebD said...

I remember some of those things too - although I didn't see most of the movies until I was an adult. You and I are the same age. Pretty funny!

Deborah Hooper said...

When I was 12, I and my brothers were sent to the Louisiana Baptist Children's Home. It was a prison sentence, but even though I did not realize it, God went with me.

Sheryl said...

I enjoyed your post (came over from Annie's). I'm older than you, so the things you wrote about really triggered my memories.
Thanks for sharing.
Oh...after reading who was President when you were 12, I had to look up who was President when I was 12...Richard Nixon! lol

Joyful Days said...

Deborah--I've pondered what you said all day. Sometimes it is just beyond understanding what someone has to go through. It is a blessing when we walk with the LORD.

Prayers.

JennaG said...

I remember some of this stuff--Our elementary choir sang "I Write the Songs"--I remember loving it--I must have been in 3rd grade then. Great memories.

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hey julie: i feel akin (soul sista! he he) to what you wrote. i felt like i was going down memory lane with you. i am 38. how old are you? thanks for letting me enjoy these moments again.

toodle-loo :) kathleen