This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday--Blog Beginning Edition

Time Travel Tuesday—first post & why I blog.

Annie is hosting Time Travel Tuesday again this week and we are re-visiting our first post and discussing why we blog. My first post:

I am a believer trying to sort out the issues of obedience, dying to self and loving others. I am trying to learn submission with confidence and what Scripture says and shows about parenting. I want to find joy in all things. I believe it is a truth the there is joy in all things and a mindset to allow yourself to see it. Joy is my goal for 2007. I want to trade my sorrows.

I am a wife to a good man who is my friend. We have hammered on things for fourteen years and are still working. We believe our only option is to make our marriage the best it can be. If anyone would want to know why I put up with his “things” the easy answer is that he has always put up with mine.

I am a mother to two young sons. They are blessings and smart, talented, and handsome. And if someone thinks I might be biased…well, YEAH!! We are eclectic homeschoolers. I sometimes use workbooks and sometimes unschool. Sometimes there are areas in between. We don’t fit a mold very well.

I write like I talk, lots of punctuation, intentional misspellings, and CAPS!!! You can’t see me waving my hands around or hear my voice so that is my attempt at internet body language.

I am conservative, traditional legalist, an open-minded, freedom loving liberal, housed in a libertarian body. I don’t like blanket statements or stereotypes, but I do believe that right is right and wrong is wrong. But I am not your Holy Spirit—and no one else is mine. So that is clear as mud.

I believe I use the word “I” too often and would like to see it uncapitalized. Like “you” and “he” and “she.” “i.” I think every Bible should capitalize every name of the Father, Son and Spirit and all referring pronouns.

Having something to say, but not necessarily having someone to say it to, having a running dialog in my head—kind of a life commentary, and the suggestion of a friend put the idea of a blog into my mind. The idea formed in January of 2006 and finally evolved here December 29, 2006.

I actually first attempted a blog sponsored by a homeschool forum and was not satisfied with the results for many reasons. Mainly I felt that there my posts should be strictly be related to homeschooling and I had more to say than just that.

I was under the impression that forum communication was more immediate than blogging, although not as fast as IMing, but I have been surprised how fast blog posts and comments fly across the web. The community feeling that I’ve found blogging has amazed and blessed me. The visibility of putting words on the internet has shocked me.

Initially I naively thought there would be total anonymity in blogging. I thought there would be more opportunity to work through some personal issues in a more open way. While my husband and sister are aware of my blog, they don’t read it. My former pastor is linked to my blog, but I don’t think he reads here. But there has been more constraint than I imagined. My DCG and I have agreed to boundaries in posting that we are both comfortable with, and a stat counter has allowed me to get an idea of who is looking at me.


Joy really was a goal when I began this blog. My IRL persona is more of an Eeyore than a Tigger or Pooh. I don’t know that I want to be as overwhelming as Tigger or as oblivious as Pooh, but the rain cloud was making life just a little damp. Having charged myself to find “joy in all things” publicly has given me a boost. It was the start of “intentional living” that has been on my mind a lot lately.

If you think I post a lot (and I do) you might find it interesting to know that I only post about one third of everything that I write for my blog. I have terrible “foot-in-mouth” disease and have learned that while I can delete a post, my instinct is that once something goes into the blogosphere it never truly can be taken back in. So I have a running file where I type things out in a Word document and chew on them for awhile. Awhile might be ten minutes or ten days or I might come back and say, “Good grief! What was I thinking??”

My goals for continued blogging include more about “intentional living” and more about my spiritual journey. There have been a lot of bonuses by blogging. The main one being the wonderful people who I’ve met that I would never have otherwise. To meet some of them, go visit Annie and the other Tuesday Time Travelers.

15 comments:

- PRACTiCAL CHiCK said...

I'm a CAPS writer too. LOL

Irritable Mother said...

I love the way you used Eeyore, Tigger and Pooh to descibe persona. What a great picture! I don't want to walk around under the rain cloud either.
More and more I am wanting to find the joy in every day. Don't want to miss it and waste life while I'm waiting for things to get *easy.*

annie said...

I loved your self description! You are so sweet, encouraging and honest!
I'm glad you are a blogger and that you are my blog friend.
i REALLY AM!

CoachJ said...

i just can't wait to tell jennag how many people just love her! she would just glow from that; after she said yeah, right. :) you are not the first to say such nice things about her to me and mandalyn. jennag is a great friend, true and wise. if you ever meet her in this life, you will have been blessed.
i'm going back to read the entry. i just had to get this down before i forgot. thanks for visiting my blog. i'm adding yours to my reader.

CoachJ said...

you know, even though 2 of my best irl friends blog, i, too, thought i'd have some anonymity in bloggyland. mainly from my mom, who is still a little toooo nosey for me. she is now reading the LPM blog hoping to find boomama. uh-oh. i'd better be careful. and i don't like it.

CoachJ said...

i'm so trying to respond to your email, which was fine to do, BTW. i just keep getting delivery failure notices. bummer! i'll keep trying 'cause we sooooo need to talk about this.

KC said...

I'm also a CAPS writer.. and I too thought that my blog might have anonymity to it and that it would be a place i could go and vent.. but not so. Great Post.
It was nice to get to meet you and find out a bit about you. Thanks for the comment on my blog.
Happy Tuesday.

Joyful Days said...

Jenny (or anyone trying to reach me via e-mail) I have an e-mail link on my profile.

Or you can type:

wanderingheart"at"memlapse"dot"com--

you'll have to substitute the symbols.

CoachJ said...

I did the email link thing. Did you get it?? I guess I can't reply to your messages to me...

Marcia said...

Hi there

Thanks for visiting my blog and for giving me your view on the 2 blog/ 1 blog thing.

Oh, by the way, I think you'll enjoy jennifer's blog at http://jmdeaton.blogspot.com - very creative and gorgeous designs. Prepare to drool...

JennaG said...

Wow, I can't believe you only publish about 1/3 third of what you write--not so here. I am not a natural writer and have never had a lot of words--if I have written something, you can bet I'm gonna publish it!! Enjoyed reading about why you started blogging.

Joyful Days said...

Jenna--I am just verbose. Be glad you don't have to hear me (blah, blah, blah...) or read the stuff that gets the boot!! My husband is glad I blog--then I don't talk his ear off when he comes home.

Renee's Ramblings said...

Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be back to check out the rest of your blog. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Sheryl said...

I so enjoyed reading your post and "meeting" you. Thanks for sharing!

IRENE said...

Lovely first post! Thank you for stopping by.