This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Children's Book Monday

The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco

The history of a family is bound up in this beautiful story of the beautiful quilt. The story begins with the Russian imigrant Anna who has a red babushka. As Anna outgrows the babushka, it is made into a quilt that will be handed down through many generations. The quilt is used for welcoming babies, sleeping with, getting married under, a tablecloth. It is an heirloom that tells the story of Polacco's family.

This is a true story and is simple but rich. There is also a movie (we were lucky to borrow from the library) that we watched and it is narrated by the author. At the end she shows the beautiful quilt and shares a couple of family members. It is simply and nicely done. I found out there is also an audio-cassette, which we have not checked out.

I wasn't sure how two boys would respond to such a quiet, gently told story, but my guys asked for us to read it again!! A winner.

Something from Nothing by Phoebe Gilman

A folk tale retold, not a true story, but told with such joy that it is an enchanting read. Young Joseph has a blanket made by his grandfather a tailor. As Joseph grows and the blanket becomes worn it is remade into smaller and smaller items, until all that is left is the story. A Yiddish tale illustrated in image and words, Gilman draws the reader closer, impatiently wanting to see what Grandfather will create next.

There is also a lovely short movie that follows the book. Again we checked it out from the library to watch after we had read the book. Wonderful.

Children's Book Monday is hosted by Elise at A Path Made Straight.

4 comments:

Elise said...

Oh - two gems for me to add to my list! These look wonderful - so sweet, old-fashioned, history rich - thank you for the review!

Liza's Eyeview said...

One of our favorite book is by Patricia Polacco titled "Thank You Mr. Falkner". Patricia is dyslexic and it's based on her story.

We have not read this one - thanks for the review - we'll check it out.

By the way, nice new lay-out!

Stacy said...

Oooh, these look like my kind of books! I've already gotten online with my library to put them on hold. Thank you for the recommendations!
~Stacy

Poiema said...

I remember splurging on the _Keeping Quilt_ about 10 years ago. I'm one of those people that will spend the grocery money on a book if it calls out to me. And that one did! I've never regretted it. I hadn't thought of it for a long time....thank you for the memory.