This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Children’s Book Review Monday— I’m going to go to Australia…

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,
Alexander Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday, and
Alexander, Who Is Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move

"I’m going to go to Australia…"

That has become a family joke around our house when things get rough that maybe we need to go to Australia. We read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day when Roo was very little and loved it. Roo and I have joked about it ever since.

Recently we checked out that and the other two titles for Boo. Roo insisted that he listen in. The laughter and nods of empathy were fun to watch. Boo has never been one to let me read to him or to want to read. It has just been the last six months that he has decided reading is good and he will do it. And it is, and he has, and life is better for it.

So he had never met five year-old Alexander or his brothers Nick and Anthony. We read one and I was fully prepared to be “done” (possibly one of Boo’s first words). But Boo wanted to know if the author had written more and low and behold she had, and Mom had been "on it" and had the other books ready and waiting. So we read all three in one sitting.

It is easy for a child to identify with Alexander—it is easy for an adult to identify with Alexander!! Alexander (and Nick and Anthony) are based on Viorst’s children. But it is not so difficult for anyone of any age to step into the picture.

These books are timeless and in my opinion a must read for everyone.
Children's Book Monday is hosted by Elise at A Path Made Straight.

4 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

Hey ~

Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment. It's always nice to have someone new check in! I'll be back to visit you!

It's interesting ~ because "Iowa" is in my name, I've met quite a few people. It's fun to make those connections!

Have a great week!

Melissa R. Garrett said...

Oh yes! We love Alexander around here :-)

Melissa R. Garrett
www.LittleWoolgatherings.com
www.TheSilverTongue.blogspot.com

amy said...

I love book reviews! Thanks..I remember this book

Elise said...

You know - I've read about the Very Bad Day, but not the others! I shall add them to my list immediately!

I love the picture of the girl in the flower garden from your sidebar - it is framed and on my daughter's wall! :)