This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

Grains of Gratitude—Well I’m back. Somewhere around Wednesday I had a bit of a melt down. And I knew I needed a bit of a break from as much as possible. Blogging, while generally an uplifting project did not fall into the “necessity” category and so that was something that got set aside for just a bit. But I’m back. And grateful to be so.

The boys and I are thankful for two men who make such a difference in our lives. The first is my dad, who I talked about here. He is a good grandfather too. Always ready to tell the boys of naughty things I did and side with them when I am being a “mean mom.” He especially likes to see how many snacks they can eat and how late they can stay up and watch television with him. He is always good about having his grandchildren come alongside and help him with his projects. We are blessed.

We are also blessed with my husband. When he and I were planning our wedding and talking about our life together, for some reason, we never saw ourselves as parents. But I remember thinking, “Even though we won’t have children, I know he would be a great dad.” Good thing, too. Both our boys were extremely planned after a change of heart about our future and let me tell you—I got them a good dad.

Happy Fathers Day to both the men who have blessed my life.

This week I am grateful for my new IRL friend R. She listened thoughtfully as I explained how much I wish I could dance again—as in take a dance class (jazz or ballet), but am too embarrassed about my age and weight. She told me that I am beautiful and a wonderful person, and the way she said it—I believe she meant it. But she also had the courage to tell me that I just needed to get over myself, put my big girl panties on and do it. That it was there and available, but I had to do it.

I’m still thinking.

I met this neat lady through our children’s activity. She brought her daughters to town to participate, so she is visiting for a month. She is vivacious, sweet and open. I am grateful to have met her.

This week my husband put a black-out on electronic entertainment for the boys. It meant more coming from him and it made a difference. I am not anti-electronics. We have plenty. But attitudes were getting sour and a week where the precious little free time was played with physical toys and board games and art supplies were dragged out and books were read has made a difference. Grateful for good attitudes.

For my geriatric cats and mid-life pooch I am grateful. Old Man is in his mid-twenties, the Ferocious One is sixteen and the Poochie is six. They have blessed us with snuggles and play and companionship. They have been healthy for the most part and only slightly neurotic (which my husband said is my fault) and I am grateful. I am trying to not look too far forward because inevitably they will not last forever. But God was kind when He created animals. They really are blessings.

The pool has holes. It is one of these pools. I am grateful we can get a new one. Because it is hot. And while I don’t like hot, I like to play in the pool with the boys.

Praying that you have a good week. What are you grateful for today?

Grains of Gratitude was started by Christine at Brady’s Bunch.

5 comments:

DebD said...

Its always nice to have some down time. I'm glad it gave you the breather you needed.

I think it would be cool if you got to dance again. I used to love Jazz dancing.

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

you

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi julie: sweet post. thanks for sharing. tender what you wrote about your men and your IRL friend. she's a keeper. you are so blessed to have her for she is telling you like it is and she is loving you like a good dear friend should.

~blessings this Sabbath night to you, kathleen :)

- PRACTiCAL CHiCK said...

Michal made fun of David when he danced in the streets before the Covenant, but he didn't care. Don't worry about what others will think of you. As long as you have fun, that's what matters.

Amberly said...

Glad you're back! I can relate with the electronics and attitude thing. It seems like my son's willingness to listen and obey is directly proportional to how much tv he's watched or video games he's played. It's amazing how much good a few days of no electronics is for an attitude problem, huh? Almost makes me want to get rid of it all...except my computer, of course! :)