This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, June 22, 2007

Scripture and Song

James 2: 17-26

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.


Christian, Rise and Act Thy Creed

Christian, rise and act thy creed;
Let thy prayer be in thy deed;
Seek the right, perform the true,
Raise thy works and life anew.

Hearts around thee sink with care;
Thou canst help their load to bear;
Thou canst bring inspiring light,
Arm their faltering wills to fight.

Let thine aims be hope and joy,
And thy worship God’s employ;
Give Him thanks in humble zeal,
Learning all His will to feel.

Come, then law divine, and reign;
Freest faith assailed in vain,
Perfect love bereft of fear,
Born in heaven and radiant here.

Words: F. A. Rollo Russell
Music: William H. Monk

2 comments:

Coach J said...

good words for today.

Barbara H. said...

I had a post a few days ago along the lines that no "work" of ours is required for salvation, that it is a gift of God. I think this post balances the other side of the coin beautifully, that once we are saved, it should show in our lives and we should be working out what we're learning in Scripture into our everyday lives. I've never seen that poem before -- it is excellent.