This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, July 23, 2007

Back to School, Rush Hour and This and That

Today we ventured back into more of a structured school day. We never really “quit” school. Reading is required most days and summertime is often for things that we cannot fit into a more organized day. But we sat back down to workbooks today.

Oh the whining, wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth.

And that was just me.

The children, while exhibiting all the signs of needing some structure back in their day are not sure that this will really help their attitudes. In fact they are sure a bit more computer time or game system time will really put them in better moods. I was almost tempted to relent. But once they smell the slightest weakness they know they have the advantage. So I held fast and slowly some order came to our day.

Boo realized perhaps he did know some math and remembered he had conquered some handwriting in the spring. Roo actually fell into the groove a little easier. Maybe it’s having gone through the transition more often.

Other news...

Have you ever played this game?


Rush Hour gameIt's called Rush Hour.

I played it last week trying to rearrange the living room furniture. While it got dicey there for a while and I wondered if we might just have to resign ourselves to climbing across the furniture, I finally got done. The boys helped by sitting in the chairs urging me to push them around. Ummm...NO.

...and finally...I finished the 7th and final Harry installment. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Well done J.K. Rowling (as if you needed my vote) it was well done.

I went to Wal-Mart at 11:45 p.m. Friday night thinking everyone would be at Barnes & Noble or Borders. But there were some other people with the same idea. Some of them had been there since 8 p.m. I think we all got out at about the time. I've never done that for a book and totally enjoyed the people and the atmosphere--I felt sorry for the people who were trying to shop for things like food. The staff at midnight was courteous and well prepared. I think they hide all the good employees in the dead of night.

Going to try to continue on tomorrow with school. Wish me luck

Blessings.


4 comments:

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

wow, that is wild that you did that :)

Kelli said...

The kids are SOOOOO ready to go abck to school.

And I'm like ... NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Mainly we are in 8th and 9th this year, so have to be in TWO! DIFFERENT! CURRICULUMS! for the first time.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I mean, who needs AP Classes for college.

Seriously.

blah blah blah my needs blah blah blah

Mrs. Pear said...

Oh, I love when you post about homeschooling! We have basically decided to homeschool Miss Pear (we live in CA, and cannot bear to subject her to that, and then realized that we really WANT to do it regardless of where we live!)

However, we have no friends who homeschool, and while my MIL is supportive, my mom is very resistant. So when I read about others homeschooling a devour every word of it!

I know it will be hard, but so worth it!

Coach J said...

I just ordered the rest of our homeschool books yesterday. I was so hoping to start by Aug. 1st, but it will not happen. That's Ok, we'll start as soon as those books get in. I can't believe it's here already! And, you made my LOL when you wrote about the gnashing of teeth! :) So, I'm NOT ALONE!