This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, July 23, 2007

Children's Book Monday

Favorite Poems Old and New
selected by Helen Ferris

Favorite Poems Old and New reviewWe own several poetry books, both for adults and children, but if I was on a desert island and could only have one book of poetry this would be the one. We acquired it about six years ago and it is my go to book if I am looking for a particular poem for the children and often for me. Post it notes are flapping out of it in several places to help find old favorites.

The poems are divided into eighteen groupings by a general subject such as animals, historical figures and events, poems about self and so on. Each group begins with a simple line drawing by illustrator Leonard Weisgard. If you are looking for a certain poem you can search the indexes by title, author or by first line (often my method.)

With over five hundred pages of poetry it is truly full of favorite poems from a variety of authors from Aesop to e.e. cummings, from the Bible to Yeats. I’ve other volumes of poetry, some with more detailed illustrations, some with few authors and titles. But Favorite Poems Old and New is the source for most of our poetry study. I’ve found that the lack of pictures actually encourages imagination and gives children a chance to illustrate poems themselves.

Children's Book Monday is hosted by Elise at A Path Made Straight. Visit her and her guests to find delightful books to add to your family reading.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Oh, are you kidding - 500 pages of poetry? I love it!
My boys and I memorized five Robert Frost poems this last year, and while they are lovely and fun, I was beginning to think we should branch out a little next year. I shall find a used copy of this (if I can) immediately!
Thanks for participating!

Andrea said...

I have heard of this book. It sounds like a wonderful compilation.
Thanks for the review!