This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

Christine over at Brady’s Bunch started Grains of Gratitude and this is my 17th time to join her!! It has been a wonderful start to my weeks and served as a solid reminder to refocus. I am in a period of re-evaluating why I blog and what I want for my blog. This is something that has a permanent home here—being grateful is good for building joy.

I read this quote a long time ago and really identified with it. I don’t know who wrote it but it is something I think on often, “God keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.”

This week I am grateful for my husband who throws out the life preserver when I jump ship and get too wound up.

In this nice world of cyber-space and blogging I can type something out and sit on it for a bit and then come back and edit and then hit "publish." In the land of solids and reality I may have a bit of a tendency to over-react. Just a tiny bit. And I might not always think before I speak. And I might, sometimes, wish I had an “edit” or “retract” button so I can shovel words back in. Maybe.

But what I have is this wonderful guy who I have learned (after years of hard lessons) to go running to first when my mind gets all filled with wild ideas and upset responses. He is so great at listening and speaking calming words and listening some more. He gets me settled down and able to see a little better what the heart of an issue is. There is no doubt in my mind that God gave him to me to answer my prayer. He acts as a tangible arm around my shoulders and while he doesn’t really put his hand over my mouth—he can keep me in line most of the time. Praise God for a godly husband.

I am grateful for my sister who keeps me abreast of health issues for my parents, especially my mother. She is there and she lets me know what is going on—things that might not get mentioned when I talk to my parents. A relationship with a sibling is a precious thing. I am grateful that we are close and she is my other “go-to” person who listens when my husband is not available.

We are filled with gratitude for tired children—for the first time that I can remember, both boys are falling asleep within minutes of their heads hitting the pillows. My boys are very high energy kids. These last three weeks they have played and worked hard and are physically and mentally tired. Bedtime has never been so easy. I know it may not last, but it is a neat treat.

Audio-books have been a blessing, allowing us to squeeze in a bit more “reading” with all of this travel back and forth. Bickering in the car is minimized and there is definitely fuel for conversations later in the day. Whoever thought up audio-books was a genius.

Gratitude for rain—while I may consider building an ark if it doesn’t let up soon—I am grateful for the rain. There has been no need to water my flowers and they have exploded. They have been a cheery sight each morning when we leave and each afternoon when we return. Rain is very symbolic of God’s mercy showering down on us. It is a therapeutic sound for me.

What are you grateful for??

9 comments:

Barbara H. said...

What a lovely post! I think we all probably could use a "delete" or "edit" button for our lips at times. :)

mum2brady said...

I can't believe it's 17 times already - wow!!! Thanks for joining in each week - your posts always lift my spirits :)

I've decided after reading your grains that my kids simply aren't working hard enough LOL They aren't tired enough at night - I better do something about that ;)

We've never done audiobooks - but might have to try one, sounds like they are wonderful for you! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Thanks for joining in each week :)

DebD said...

This was just lovely, and put a smile on my face. I wish there was a retract button too. ((hugs))

annie said...

Right now I'm grateful for the abundance of rain and although we are without water this morning, I'm grateful that it is being trouble shooted (is that a word) as I type and soon all will be well with the world and I will be grateful that I can do laundry and mop my kitchen floor, start my dishwasher... and shower :o)
Have a great Monday.

Amber said...

How Beautiful! Sometimes I think the Lord guides us on what blogs to read and I believe He sent me to yours today. I gonna link over now.

God Bless,
Amber

Omaha Mama said...

Great list. It really is the best way to start the week. We've had ZERO percent chance of rain the past two days and are really overdue for some precipitation. Could you send some our way???

Jenileigh said...

I am grateful for your kind words. You brought tears to my eyes. Thank-You.

I loved reading all of the things you are grateful for. I know the kids being ready for bed is a big blessings. Its wonderful I think to have those time that they are really hungry when they eat, they are so thankful themselves. And then when they are so tired they can't keep their eyes open they can't wait to get in bed. Its also a great blessing to have a nice comfy bed to put them in. :)

Also about your sister...that one brought tears to my eyes as my sister has an alcohol problem, lives three states away and always finds a reason to not speak to me for months on end. She is three years younger than I and it breaks my heart. I love her so. I'm grateful for our memories though and for answered prayers, I'm still praying knowing in God's time!

Big Hugs and Blessings to you!

Coach J said...

I'm thankful for a hubby like that, too! And I'm thankful I've "met" you. We seem to be in some same situations. I'm glad you have your sister to keep you updated, and you are in my thoughts as you travel. You can do it! You can! Through Christ, you can do anything!

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi julie: i look forward to your grateful fors each week. i especially liked how you wrote "being grateful is good for building joy." you are always a good reminder for me in my pursuit of trying to remember to be grateful for my blessings.

~blessings girl, kathleen :) (leaving nevada today and heading on to utah in our RV family motorhome trip ... not sure when i will have computer access again, but wanted to tell ya hi and thanks for being awesome to me).