This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, August 20, 2007

Amazing Satisfaction

Homeschool catalogs can be my downfall. They can confuse me with their wonderful & tempting book list. They can convince me that if I use their method of teaching my children will become “more educated” even though their educational style does not mesh with my children’s style of learning or my style of teaching. Most of all they make me feel like I need to spend more money. That said, I love to look at them and have gleaned a wealth of information from them. So they are a mixed bag in my reality.

The other night, thanks to a diet coke, I was highly caffeinated and could not sleep. So at midnight I went through all of our materials. Yes, yes…we started school after again a short while back. Yes, yes…logically I should have done this first. But I’ve never claimed to be logical.

So as I was saying…I was going through our materials. And after spreading everything out between the dining room table and living room floor, I was amazed to find that I liked everything we had and all of our goals could be met with the materials we owned. Oh, it’s not as slick and fancy as some of the catalog curriculum. I will be filling in with some library choices, but most of those things are things that aren’t necessary to own. They would be one or two time uses at the most.

It was just one of those blessings, those unexpected blessings, when you feel things come together and you say, “I am content.”

I hope I can remind myself of this in a few weeks.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great reminder! I am a true *curriculum junkie*, and I am *really* working this year to *use what we have*. Just yesterday I was fretting about some *gaps* I hadn't been able to fill due to finances, and when I went through our *stash*, I found things that, while not the exact things I had planned to order, will work just as well for now. What a blessing!

Maybe we can remind each other of this through the year...:)

Jen

Coach J said...

Oh, being content is such a good thing. And having achieved that for just a moment is Heaven!
We can remind you of it in a few weeks, too! Great thing, this internet :)

DebD said...

What a productive way to spend those sleepless hours (I wish I could be as disciplined!). I think I've finally learned to "just say no" to curriculum lures.

Amberly said...

I know exactly what you mean! I feel like that especially at our state homeschool convention curriculum hall! There are so many things that look great and I'm sure would add to learning. This year I was more prepared than last year (when I was new to homeschooling and completely drooling over everything!). I went with a list of what I wanted to use and knew how much I would pay online, so when I found it cheaper and without shipping, I bought it. I only ended up buying a couple of inexpensive atlas type books that I thought would be good for some geography that weren't on my list. And I've just refrained from looking at anymore catalogs since then! It's a real exercise in self-control!!

Jennifer said...

Julie...Just wanted to let you know that I *finally* got my Blogger Reflection Post up at my blog. Between the girls' birthdays and trying to narrow it down to 5 bloggers to pass it on to, it has taken me forever. Thank you again for your post and sweet words...I appreciate you so much!

Jennifer

Leah in Iowa said...

We are using "bare bones" stuff this year. But it's okay!! I'm happy and content with that! =) We actually started this morning and things went well, so I'm tickled! Blessing to you and your new school year!

DebD said...

Julie, I just saw about your mother. My prayers for you and your family during this time of grief.

(((hugs)))