This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Children's Book for Monday

Horatio’s Bed by Camilla Ashforth

Beautiful watercolor illustrations and soft gentle prose make this an ideal book for young children. Horatio, a stuffed bunny can’t sleep. And his tenderhearted, but very particular teddy bear friend, James is trying to help him.

Somehow Ashforth manages to squeeze humor and sweet friendship into the few pages of this book. Her illustrations beg to be framed and her words are well chosen.

This book teaches about friendship, but it also quietly includes a lesson about giving someone what we think they need, our perception, versus what they really want and need.

Horatio’s Bed is and ideal picture book for young children.

What books are you recommending?

6 comments:

kim said...

Sweet! Your review makes me miss having little ones around to read picture books to. ;) Do you know if anyone hosts a book review meme targeted towards older kiddos?
*smiles*
Kim

Pam said...

Thanks so much for this recommendation! I just requested it from our library.

We love Snowmen at Night by Buehner.

Joyful Days said...

Kim (and anyone else) Jen Robinson at her site "Jen Robinson's Book Page"

http://jkrbooks.typepad.com/blog/

is a good place to find titles for older readers.

She also has other bloggers who do kid-lit reviews on her sidebar I believe.

Always,

Julie

amy said...

This looks wonderful, thanks for the review

Dapoppins said...

We love childrens books. Have you ever seen THE FARMER? i need to look up the author.

Renee's Ramblings said...

I love your choice of books! Thanks for the post about older kids book reviews. I am going to check it out!