This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, August 10, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday--Salad Edition

Cucumber and Tomato Salad Caprese
from July 2000 Pillsbury Farmer's Market Cookbook

1 large red tomato, sliced
1 large yellow tomato, sliced
1 medium cucumber, sliced
8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil or lemon basil

First, on a large platter, arrange tomato, cucumber and mozzarella slics overlapping in a single layer.
Next, In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; mix well. Drizzle over salad. Sprinkle with basil.
6 servings


CD giveaway & Pay It Forward book giveaway are open until Sunday.

10 comments:

Magi said...

I love caprese, but never thought to add cucumber. Thanks!

Michelle said...

I think I've had this before and it was pretty good, but I never got the recipe - thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Pear said...

This sound so delicious! Especially with all the wonderful fresh produce out now!

Dapoppins said...

Oh. Yummy. We love tomatoes at our house. My little girl eats them as if it was fruit.

kim said...

Oh my! This looks delish and I think it will make its way onto my table tonight with our spaghetti and french bread. Anything with fresh mozzarella and basil is divine to me. Our homegrown tomatoes are just starting to ripen so this will be especially yummy.
Thanks so much for sharing.
*smiles*
Kim

Laane said...

Oh thank you!
One of my sons is due home and he will love this.
I'll substitute the mozzarella, because I have none and the shops are closed.
Thank you very much!

SeaBird said...

Hmmm, I never thought of adding a cumcumber - we'll have to try this. I love caprese salads!

annie said...

This does sound good!!!

Kathleen Marie said...

This sounds awesome and it is so cute looking!

Overwhelmed! said...

I love the sounds of this dish! It seems perfect for summer. :)

Thanks so much, Julie, for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday Salads Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.