This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Goodbye Old Man, We Will Miss You

Yesterday, in the midst of waiting for news about my mother, we had to make the choice to put down our “Old Man” cat, also known as Tucker. Tucker was in his early to mid-twenties and had been a part of my life longer than my husband.

Up until Friday he was still getting up early every morning to greet my husband over coffee and meow about the current events. At one time Tuck was a large (near twenty pound) cat, but the last few years have seen him thin down quite a bit. Over the weekend we noticed he wasn’t up with the dawn and in fact needed called to be roused. Sunday night found him unable to navigate stairs and his meower was noticeably quieter. By Monday morning there was nothing but a squeak and two steps was about all his back legs were good for.

My sweet husband came home from work, made the vet call, and gave the boys a little time to say goodbye to their beloved grey tiger. Many tears were shed and I’m not sure that my sweetheart didn’t shed the most. This from a man who supposedly didn’t want cats. He’s missing his coffee buddy quite a bit already.

For my part, I’m missing a friend of near sixteen years. He came to me as an adult, he was somewhere between the age of seven and ten. I’m looking for someone to head butt me and track me down to the kitchen in case there is a can of tuna to be opened. His animal buddies, Libby and Sid are a little confused at his absence.

This cat somehow became “my mother’s cat.” When she would visit, he would wait for her to find a seat, thereby creating a lap, proceed to insinuate himself in her arms and stay there for as long as he could. He would position himself so he could gaze adoringly at her and meow and “talk” to her, telling her, surely, of his abused life with me and all insults, real and imaginary he was forced to endure. She of course would tell him how wonderful he was. I swear he knew when I talked to her on the phone. He would shove his way onto my lap and head-butt the phone until I told her he was there.

There is a furry hole around here, I’m telling you.

For those sweet friends who’ve commented or e-mailed about my mom, I am still waiting on any real “news.” She was transferred late yesterday from the local hospital to the university hospital in a nearby city. She has been unable to eat and has at least one episode of extremely low blood pressure with rapid pulse. She’s quite unhappy about all the tubes she’s wearing, among other things. We were going to visit today, but my sister and father think waiting one more day might be better. So the boys and I will leave early tomorrow and stay at least one night.

I plan on blogging as I am able, while to some it may seem insensitive, but as some may recognize it is really good therapy for me.

Blessings,
Julie

11 comments:

Wendy said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I had a very special cat in my life, too, and they just never really leave our hearts. Still praying for you and for your mom.

Coach J said...

Oh, Julie, I am sorry to hear about your cat. And added to your mom's situation, your emotional state is probably going bonkers!! I will pray for you today, and I know your blogging is therapy for you, and will be more than glad to sit and read and "talk" with you! I am glad that you are waiting an extra day, and not planning an extended stay. Much love and prayers to you today, my friend!

Barbara H. said...

I agree that it is good therapy to be able to write about these things. I am so sorry for your loss. We've had only one pet for years, our dog Suzie, and I know it is going to be sad when she passes on.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's troubles. Will be praying.

Kelli said...

Ah aweetie. When it rains, it ours sometimes.

I wish I was there to just give you a huge, warm, comfy hug.

I'll just pray. I'm here if you need me.

Dapoppins said...

Awww. The gap such a sweet friend leaves behind is always so large. I am sorry for you and yours.

sheryl said...

I am sooo sorry for your loss! Pets hold such special places in our lives. (((HUGS)))
Praying for your mom and all your family.
Writing IS good therapy...and I also think you are creating treasures for your kids to look back over and see through your eyes.

kim said...

I am just getting caught up Julie and saw this entry about our cat friend. Your post brought tears to my eyes--we thought we were losing one of our cats a couple of months ago and I was really trying to prepare myself. No matter how much I tried to tell myself that it is just an animal, my heart didn't want to listen. They do become our furry companions and I feel your pain. I am so sorry to hear about your mom, also, Definitely sending up some prayers for her and you too.
*hugs*
Kim

Amberly said...

Bless your heart. I'm sure this has been a difficult week for you. And I didn't know about your mom until reading this post. Apparently, I'm behind on reading blogs! I'll pray that she is better soon!

Jenny in Ca said...

I am so sorry about your cat. He sounds wonderful and so personable.

thinking of you and sending you a cyber hug...and I will be praying for your mom.

grace and peace to you,

mum2brady said...

Julie - thinking of your mom and sending hugs and prayers on the loss of your kitty. When they've been with you that long, they are like one of the kids, almost! My first kitty, Gershwin, had to be put to sleep at 17 about a year ago. It was very hard and sad :(

Sending big hugs your way!!!

The Wooden Porch said...

How sweet and sad. I had an old cat friend like that too, but he didn't live as long. I'm sorry little Tucker passed away.