This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

This was supposed to be my TT two weeks ago. It never got published due to events. So belatedly I give you:

My Boo turns seven this week.How time flies when you’re having fun.

Thirteen things I love about Boo

1. His head of curls. No matter where we go someone has to comment on his wonderful hair. And, no, he isn’t tired of it or embarrassed by it. He loves the attention.

2. He is my husband’s “mini-me.” Want to know what my husband looks like, acts like, thinks like? Just look at Boo.

3. He is my Peter Pan. There is something in him that realizes just how good it is to be a child and he has no desire to be a grown-up.

4. He loves to perform. Whether at a piano, in dance class, at home when there’s music, with his new cache of magic tricks or telling jokes, the child is always “on.” The bigger the audience, the better.

5. I love how gentle he is with animals. He’s never been one of those children who squish and drag around pets. He’s always been content to sit quietly by them and stroke their fur. And he seems to find just the right place, because they will sit by him for as long as he’s willing to pay attention to them.

6. While he is gentle with animals, he is a super-hero in disguise. He will explode through the house, high-kicking and leaping, making all manner of noises to fend off the foes that are threatening the universe.

7. He knows how to shake hands. And he knows when to turn on the “good boy” mode. There’s been more than one adult comment on what a nice, respectful young man he is—they’ve never seen him in action at home, and I refuse to disabuse them of their delusions.

8. He likes to share. He would give away anything to anyone. He likes to make people happy.

9. He’s learned to enjoy reading. But, unlike his mother and brother, fiction isn’t the favorite. He’s discovered you can learn facts in books and likes historical books and science type books. But he’s come to be a fan of reading. I am sure the right fiction will catch his fancy too.

10. He marches to his own drummer. There is no sense in telling Boo he must do something. You can tell him—but he will get to it when he is good and ready. Until then, beat your head on the wall if you must, but it won’t happen until he sees the benefit. Why do I love this trait??? Well, while it causes me some stress now, I see that he won’t follow the crowd so easily. He weighs things and makes his own decision. This will be a good thing to hang on to as he grows.

11. He loves old T.V. shows. It is fun to watch “I Love Lucy,” “Gilligan’s Island,” and other old shows with him and his brother.

12. He likes to be helpful. He likes to know he has made my day easier and almost always is willing to do what is asked of him.

13. He doesn’t think he is too big to sit on my lap in the morning before we start our day. Those skinny, long legs may not quite fit as well as when they were pudgy toddler legs, but we somehow manage to squish him up to cuddle for just a little bit.

THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! The TT Hub.

18 comments:

WAHM said...

Enjoyed your post!! My little one's b-day is today and he is one!!
A fellow 13er!

http://momworksathome.blogspot.com

2boys2teach said...

Boo sounds like a great kid. Thanks for stopping by. Blessings!

Qtpies7 said...

He sounds like a great kid! I try to look at those stubborn qualities in a good light, too. I tell my son that his subborness is going to serve him well when he is serving God in a little known place in Africa with no modern conveniences.

Coach J said...

Well, I'm growing to love your Boo, too! :)

erin said...

What a sweet list! Happy TT! My list is 13 movies I can watch repeatedly and never tire of.

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

Great list! My little "Boo" is 19 months but she is also a 'mini-me' of her daddy too. :)

Cindy Swanson said...

Sounds like Boo is a wonderful little guy!

My firstborn son (who is now 27 years old!) had that headful of curls, too, and it was adorable. Actually, he still has that same headful of curls if he goes for a while without cutting his hair, which he usually wears quite short. But every time I see a pic of him as a little guy, with all those curls, I get emotional. :)

Hope you'll visit my TT! :)

Overwhelmed! said...

What a beautiful post. Your son sounds fantastic! Reading about him made me smile. :)

Happy Birthday to Boo!

Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

Your Boo sounds precious! What a blessing he must be. And what a lot that says about his parents, too. :)

Still praying for you all!!

Joanne (That Blue Girl) said...

What a cutie! And no wonder he is inspiration for a 13. I should do one like this too for my son. Awesome 13! Happy Thursday and thanks for checking out my 13 on art.

Denise Patrick said...

Your Boo sounds like a wonderful young man. Happy Birthday to him!!

Happy TT!

Dapoppins said...

I am feeling inspired...Like joanne, I think I need to do this for my kids.

Karen said...

How sweet:-) Happy TT!

Irritable Mother said...

In many ways your Boo sounds like my seven-year-old, but especially because of number four. Oh, how Matthew loves an audience!!!

annie said...

He sounds like such a sweet little boy!

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

julie:
loved this, loved his curly head of hair that gets so much attention, loved how he cuddles up with you, and that he is a true superhero animal and people loving giver. great tribute to your little boybarian. so sweet how you feel about your guy.

smiles,
kathleen

Jenny in Ca said...

sweet post, what a great birthday tribute. I loved the curls part too.

Scribbit said...

I'm going to be sad when my youngest no longer wants to sit on my lap. It's a great cuddle time.