This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

Landing—

I feel like I have returned from another planet. And I feel like I have been gone a lifetime. So much happened in such a relatively short period of time.

There were times when I thought five or six hours had gone by and was surprised that only twenty minutes had passed. Other times I was sure that I had only been somewhere for a moment and hours had gone by.

My computer sat untouched from Tuesday morning until Friday evening. That does not happen in my “normal” life. In any other circumstances I would have had withdrawal, but I would think, “Oh! Maybe I can sit with my computer.” And there was just never time. Between planning and paper work, feeding and schooling children, sorting through my mother’s things there was just never time.

To all my friends who have sent cards, called, e-mailed, hugged me and most of all held my family up in prayer, I am truly amazed, blessed and grateful. The number of times someone was “there” on the phone, in body or on the web was amazing. I received what I needed just at the right time.

The LORD has blessed me with an amazing family. Oh sure, we are our own brand of dysfunctional, I suppose. But we fit and we care deeply for each other. We were there for each other in our own special way. To have someone who you could just say a certain word or give a certain look and they knew exactly what we each were thinking was a relief.

I am grateful for all the people who took the time to express their love for my mother and their sympathy for my family. The number of people at the visitation was mind boggling. I had people tell me that they tried to come, but needed to be elsewhere also and the line was so long they couldn’t wait. I looked behind the car in the procession and could not believe how many cars followed us to the gravesite. People took off work, traveled distances and took the time to be kind. Love and friendship cause people to do amazing things.

Memories are wonderful. Sorting through pictures with my sister and our children to put together a collage was very healing. We were able to laugh and turn back the clock for a moment and there was much peace in that.

Once more my husband welcomed us home with little to do but unload. And told me he was happy to see me when I was sweaty, road weary and very verbal. I babbled at him for two or three hours when he got home from work. And then he told me AGAIN how glad he was I was back. I am so, so blessed.

I will be back to blogging and all of my normal life activities this week. Not only did I leave my computer alone, I did not crack one book open to read. I put my children back to school work on Tuesday to restore some order to their lives. But I am anxious to put myself back into a routine.

My heart is still heavy, the first words typed were the hardest, but now they seem to be flowing more freely. You will likely have to endure some more commentary about my mother, my family and the last week, but I know that this too is a season.

Be blessed.

Visit Christine at Brady's Bunch, the originator of Grains of Gratitude. There are several who start their week off gratefully.

What are you grateful for?

7 comments:

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

julie: i'm grateful for you. so glad to hear that you have been so blessed and supported by others at this time in your life. and please don't say that we will have to "endure" what you will write about your mama. there's no enduring in it for me. anything you want and need to say, you say it ... just say it. be at ease and let whatever comes out of your heart just flow. you are a beautiful soul and i am grateful to have crossed paths with you.

blessings to you and your boy- barians again today. still in my prayers girl. happy Sabbath, kathleen

Coach J said...

I'm glad you're getting back into a routine, too. It will help.
I tagged you, if you want to accept. :)

Mrs. Pear said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom (for some reason last Sunday's post did not appear in my reader so I missed it, sorry I am late). Your perspective is very inspiring, thank you so much for sharing.

And you are right, we love our extended families (beyond our husband and children) even when they drive us a little bit crazy!

Please let me know if there is a specific way I can be praying for you and your family (Besides God's comfort for you!)

Scribbit said...

I'm so sorry! I just checked in after being gone for most of August and just read of your loss. I hope that you've been able to find some comfort--my thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

julie: thank you for the nice email.

hope you are doing okay today. thinking of you friend, kathleen

Leah in Iowa said...

Another nice post from you, Julie. Writing can be very good for you ~ healing, almost. Keep it up! =)

sheryl said...

Anytime you want to write about your mom, we're hear to "listen"!
Praying for you and your family as you go through this time.