This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

The calendar says it is still summer, but the weather this week said, “FALL!” And I love fall. The forecast predicts we will be returning to warmer weathers, but I am grateful for this little break. Sometimes the weather can readjust our attitudes and focus us forward to the upcoming season. I am grateful to live where the season changes are so obvious and most often dramatic. I complain about being out of the house too much for my hermit tastes, but one thing I do love is driving and observing the daily changes of the trees. I think the last few years I have been more mindful of how fast our days fly by and have tried to savor them.

This week I had supper with a very dear friend. She and I have known each other for a long time. She is the person who, sixteen years ago, gave me our cat we still have—Sid otherwise known as “the Ferocious One.” Sid is slowing down, but our friendship isn’t we have both gone through huge life changes together. She has been instrumental in introducing my children to some important people and it was at her house that I was married. Friends like that are something to be grateful for.

I am grateful for a trip to the Half Price Books bookstore, yielding several books for $1, an algebra book that will do nicely for us and lots of ideas. Books are just such an obsession of mine and finding inexpensive ones is even more wonderful.

We found new tennis shoes for the boys on sale!! How good is that? And my husband (who used to sell shoes back in another life) actually came along to help me and did all the fitting and the boys like what they got. And he (hubs) offered to buy me a pair of shoes!! Which I actually turned down because I need to go through the closet and see what fits and what I “need” shoes for. If I get a new pair I want them to go with as much as possible! So the offer stands and I can go back. How cool is that?

And finally I am grateful for all the leftovers in the fridge. That means I don’t have to cook today!! My sweet husband is grilling for supper and handling the sides too. All I have to do is some cleaning this morning and then my duty is done!! I think I even have tomorrow’s dinner ready for the crockpot. My life is luxury and ease!

Grains of Gratitude began with Christine at Brady's Bunch.

Have a beautiful week. What are you grateful for?

3 comments:

DebD said...

longtime friends who live close by is indeed something to be grateful for. One of my last remaining local longtime friends is moving to NZ next year!

I'm like you with shoes, I like them to go with as much as possible.

kim said...

What a wonderful list of things to be grateful for!!! :)

I have to say that the pumpkin bread I made was soooo yummy! I made it with all splenda products which dropped the calories significantly.
I have been cruising the internet this afternoon looking for more yummy weight watcher friendly meals---sigh---it sure is a lot of work to change a lifestyle.

I hope you get to your bedroom---it is a nice feeling of accomplishment to tackle a room. I have not finished my mudroom,so don't come looking at my blog today for any inspirational pictures!!! :)

*smiles*

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi julie:
i am grateful to get to read your gratitude post each sunday. glad that you have that dear friend. we are so blessed by the special souls who touch our lives and share this life journey with us.

thank you for the sweet card in the mail. you made me smile sweetie, kathleen