This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, November 5, 2007

Children's Book Monday

Helen Keller: Courage in the Dark
by Johanna Hurwitz
Illustrations by Neverne Covington

The story of Helen Keller never fails to inspire me. Recently I began to search for biography's that Boo could start reading on his own. He has a very tender heart and I thought that he, too would be touched by her courage and accomplishments.

I found this "Step into Reading" series book and was not disappointed. The book is listed as a 2nd or 3rd grader reader and this is a very accurate description. The language is a wonderful balance of challenging and accessible, introducing the child reader to the inspirational Helen Keller.

Boo was very excited about reading this book and proceded (unasked) to give me the synopsis of the book. What better praise there could be, I'm not sure. Johanna Hurwitz story is precisely what I was looking for and the illustrations by Neverne Covington are colorful and delightful.

Looking for a way to introduce biographies to your young reader? Helen Keller: Courage in the Dark is a fantastic place to start.

Visit Elise at A Path Made Straight for more ideas for Children's Book Monday.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Hi!

This looks like a great introduction to the Helen Keller story - one I'm eager to share with my girls as they get older.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Have a blessed day!

~Anna

Overwhelmed! said...

I loved the story of Helen Keller as a child. I'll have to look for the "Courage in the Dark" book for myself. :) Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I've got some free books up for grabs as part of my November Pay It Forward Book Exchange. Stop by if you're interested in a chance to win. :)

Renee's Ramblings said...

This will be perfect as a reader for my oldest son. Thanks so much for sharing!

Renee'

naturalpaths said...

We have this book and I know my oldest has read it before. This is a great reminder to read it again, however.

henryteachers said...

My dd is a 2nd grader and I think she would love this. I'll have to look for this at our next trip to the library. Thank you!