This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, October 22, 2007

Children's Book Monday

The Mix and Match Book of Dinosaurs by George Sanders
illustrated by Alex Block

About six years ago I stumbled upon this really fun and creative book. Roo was an early reader and a huge fan of dinosaurs. He memorized the names of various dinosaurs and was always ready for something new.

This book is spiral-bound. The ten "pages" are divided into thirds A large beautifully drawn dinosaur spans the whole page and is divided at the tail, body and then head and neck. You can flip one page at a time and will have a great illustration of a stegosaurus, triceratops or euoplocephalus, etc. Great for word/syllable recognition.

But the fun really starts when you flip a piece of a page randomly--mixing and matching tail, bodies and heads. You might come up with a STEGO-RANNO-DON (stegosaurus tail, tyrannosaurus body and iguanadon head). Or a GAL-CERA-SAURUS (gallimimus tail, triceratops body, tyranosaurus head). The blurb on the back says you can create 1000 variations. The art is impressive because it works amazingly well attaching to such varied dinosaurs.

This is a fun book to look at together or for some fun solo time for dinosaur fans. It is a unique idea.

Children's Book Monday is home at A Path Made Straight, Elise's blog. See the great reading ideas there!

4 comments:

Elise said...

Looks wonderful - I love that it's interactive! Maybe a Christmas gift for the boys - I'm getting all kinds of ideas today! Thanks, friend!

Sonya said...

This sounds like a really fun book! I'll have to see if I can find it because I think my 9yo daughter would really enjoy it.

BTW, thanks for having the book giveaway! I'm so excited about winning it! I'll be sure to pass it on after I'm through reading it.

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh my goodness, I'm looking for a dinasour gift for my 3 1/2 year old nephew for Christmas. Do you think he'd like this book? I hope I can get it on Amazon.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Renee's Ramblings said...

My sons are so into dinosaurs. I bet they'd have tons of fun with this book. Thanks for sharing!