This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

It is anniversary week here. Fifteen years since our wedding.

Cue the soft violin music, warm summer night, looking out over a moonlit lake.

Over fifteen years ago my darling looked into my bleary shining eyes under the moonlight and told me he could stay with me forever. I replied that I felt exactly the same way. Sigh...Then he ever so romantically asked, “Could you put that it writing?” The recording screeches to a halt. I said eloquently, “HUH?”

Was that a proposal or what? I’m just saying…

And it the romance has not stopped since.

So I give you Thirteen goofy things that happened in the process of getting married.

1. I put the wrong address on the wedding invitations. Thankfully my husband to be noticed and we put a note about that on the enclosed map.

2. My friend went into labor the night before the day before my wedding…in my bed.

3. It snowed the day before our OUTDOOR wedding.

4. I slept with the wedding cake because I was terrified my friend’s cat would climb it during the night.

5. My sister finished sewing on my dress the day of our wedding.

6. I got my veil caught in the rain gutter.

7. The wedding video shot by my husband’s cousin shows primarily my shoulder and the best man.

8. My slip is showing in approximately half of the wedding pictures. Classy folks, I’m telling you.

9. We were supposed make a grand exit in my friends boat…all the guest left before that could happen so we just packed up the gifts in my little Lynx and drove off into the sunset…

10. …to a fishing cabin with no phone access and very little heat.

11. I had to have breakfast with my mother-in-law two days after we got married.

12. We came home to a backed up sink. My future ex-brother-in-law poured sulphuric acid down the drain…

13. …and our homecoming smelled like rotten eggs.

Our life has been anything but traditional. I am so grateful for the wonderful man that I married. Praying for at least 15 more nutty years.

THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!

The TT Hub

23 comments:

No Nonsense Girl said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! you are hysterical, made me giggle.

I wish you 50 more years of happiness with this man. :)

My TT's up!

Dane Bramage said...

Ah the memories you will keep forever. What caused the smell?

Anyway my #51st Thursday Thirteen is up. It is the "I'll take Charley Weaver to Block" edition. 13 Questions and Answers from the old Hollywood Squares TV Show Stop by if you get a chance.

sheryl said...

I'm sure it wasn't funny then...but glad you can laugh about it and share it with others now. I confess to giggling over quite a few of these. ;)

Nicholas said...

And one day you'll look back on all this and laugh. Happy anniversay.

kim said...

This made me laugh today! :) It doesn't seem to matter how much we plan for that special day, there are always little things that go wrong. By the way, I love the bouquets in your wordless wednesday post.

Happy Anniversary and wishes to you for many, many more.

*smiles*
Kim

Wolfie said...

Happy Anniversary..!!
This is a great post..hmm..hope u enjoy many many more fun years with each other..

amypalko said...

Happy Anniversary! Great post - really made me smile :-)
My TT is up here if you want to check it out.

DebD said...

Happy Anniversary! We celebrate 22 tomorrow. I loved this post, it put a smile on my face. I don't have such funny memories from our wedding.

susiej said...

In your bed!! Oh how funny is that. Are you still buddies with your ex-brother-in law? Or, was that a sign?

Carey said...

Happy Anniversary.
Your post brought back memories of my wedding...hubby left my wedding ring at home, so i used his sisters ring as a stand in, and our limo got a flat tire on the way to the reception, and my BIL had to change it in his tux, b/c the driver didnt know how to.
You have to smile about it now.

Bss said...

Happy Anniversary!!! God bless you and your husband in many more years of marriage. Beautiful pictures!

annie said...

Happy Anniversary!

freetofly said...

LOL! What a hoot! Me thinks laughter must be an auspicious beginning to a fruitful marriage! :)

The couple that laughs together stays together?! What say you?

Many, many happy, laughter & joy-filled years to you & your honey!

Jeff Keith said...

Hehe Great Post! I love you quote on your banner about joy. God Bless.

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

That sounds like a very memorable wedding... Happy Anniversary! :)

Denise Patrick said...

Sounds wonderful! It's always great to have unique memories of your wedding.

I have a bittersweet one from mine. My soon to be sister-in-law was pregnant at my wedding. She had a beautiful baby boy six months later. Sadly he died just over a year ago in a car crash at 22.

Happy TT!

freetofly said...

I want to say THANK YOU for the comments about Thursday Thirteen. There were (and still are, like most things on the net) some questions - things I don't understand about how to do it. But, I just decided to do it anyway! It was fun, & now I can just keep on rolling until I fall or bump into something!

{Karla} said...

Happy Anniversary!

I love looking back on the silly things that happened the day of my wedding.

Blessings,
Karla

Joyismygoal said...

that was awesome to read but so sorry I hope your slip and shoulder looked pretty:> we had some fun too we missed 3 flights from car trouble on our wedding trip

Cecily R said...

Traditional is boring! That is a great list and a great bunch of memories!

My husband and I both had strep throat on our wedding day and sported matching penicillin shot in our hind quarters. I spent the first night of our honeymoon with a 102 degree fever!

Jennifer said...

Oh, Julie..this post made me LOL, and I needed that this morning!! Happy Anniversary...and praying for many more happy, and hilarious, years for you!! :)

Thanks for your comment at my place last night. Somehow things here have just been all out of whack and I have *all* these blog posts I need to type and I can't get to the keyboard long enough when I'm not too sleepy to type. :) I'm hoping to remedy that this week. It's nice to be thought of!!

Coach J said...

This is hilarious! :)
I enjoyed reading this--happy anniversary!

Jenny in Ca said...

happy anniversary, -your Thursday Thirteen had me in stitches! I guess you have to look back on it all and laugh, what else is there?! Imagining you sleeping with the cake is funny.