Thirteen Things I Love About Roo
Roo turned 10!! I walked out of the room for thirty seconds & came back to find a pre-(gulp)-teen. Who actually mentioned how his hair looked last week. As in, “Did you notice I tried something different with my hair, Mom?” What IS UP WITH THAT?
Last week we left religion class and a young ummm…lady crawled halfway out of her father’s vehicle and literally shouted, “Bye, Roooooooo!! See you next week!”
“Who was that?” I nervously asked.
“Oh that was______(insert adorable Southern influenced name). She’s really nice.”
SIGH. SIGH…HEAVIER SIGH…
But I love my Roo. Yes I do and let me move on to my Thursday Thirteen and tell you why:
1. He has a tender heart. He cried, nay almost sobbed when Harry died in Spiderman. He cried while reading the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. He actually read the Sarah, Plain and Tall series, for goodness sake and didn’t argue that it was too sissy. He cares about our pets and our friends. And he is often the one to notice my moods. Some girl (in the far, far distant future) is going to love this about him. But she’s going to have to kill her own spiders.
2. He is truthful, even when it will put him in a bad light. I don’t know how often he’s come to me and said, “Mom, you are not going to like this, but I have to tell you…” George Washington & his cherry tree need to make room. It’s that serious.
3. He is always wanting to know more about things. Especially God. He has challenged me to dig deeper and really know what I believe. I love to hear his questions after church. They are wise and insightful. What a gift children are!
4. He is focused. I have heard that from so many people who have worked with him in class and on stage. He’s been know to make a mistake, but he is pretty sure to know how to fix it.
5. He is polite, especially out of our home. But not in an Eddy Haskell way. He can be a typical child at home. But I am proud to take him out in public.
6. He could care less about what he wears. Well…at least he didn’t. The hair last week is making me sweat this one. His brother (three years his junior) already cares about what is on his back. Roo has so far been grateful just for fresh and clean.
7. He is a very serious boy under the layer of silliness. He’s a deep thought thinker. He considers the options and knows that there is more to life than his video games. But he’ll set the serious aside for a good split-screen match with his brother. Still a kid!
8. He cannot be quiet for longer than five minutes unless asleep, and has been known to talk in his sleep occasionally.
9. He is asking for the chance to help around the house. (He may think it will get him some cash). I am planning to take advantage of this really soon!
10. He is not boastful about his talents. And even though I am prejudiced, he really does have a few.
11. He can be brave. He was the grandchild that went up to ICU to say “goodbye” to his grandma. He didn’t want to. He didn’t have to. He didn’t like what he knew. But it was his choice to go and kiss his grandma goodbye. He drew himself up, took a deep breath and was determined. I think that was the bravest thing he’s ever done. Although I am pretty sure there will be more things he will face.
12. That said, he’s brave but not full of bravado. He’s not too ready to go traipsing off into the world yet. He’s very aware that he will at some point want to be shed of his Mommy, but that day (thankfully) isn’t here yet. .
13. He’s a good friend. He looks for the best in people. He’s been picked on before and tries to make sure that none of his friends are bullied. He stands up for what he knows is right and in the end, tries to make sure everyone ends up friends.
My Roo. I’m off to find a brick to put on that handsome head!
Happy TT everyone. Find other TT'ers at the Hub!
THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!
This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26