This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, January 21, 2008

Children's Book Monday

Children's Book MondayLast night I got to hold a precious new baby Her mommy has been my friend for over sixteen years now. I’ve watched my friend grow from a teenager to a fantastic young woman and now a new mother. What a sweet and precious thing.

Before this lovely child was born the boys helped me pick out a shower gift for our friend. She told us last night how much she enjoys the books we got her. They are some of the boys and my favorites. Since she was pleased I will share the books we gave them for our review this week.

JamberryThe first was The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau and I talked about that briefly during the Read to Me 2007 Challenge. It is a favorite of mine and since our new baby friend's grandma is a quilter, I thought it would be perfect for when Grandma babysits.

The second is Jamberry by Bruce Degen. It is a fast and nimble almost tongue-twister, certain to bring giggles and smiles. Who can resist"...Strawberry ponies, Strawberry lambs, Dancing in meadows, Of strawberry jam..." The colorful and lively illustrations are funny and joyful.


Tumble BumbleThe next book is Tumble Bumble by Felicia Bond. We have a video of Roo's third birthday party where he "read" it for us. Of course he had just memorized it, but that was due to us reading it at least once a day...maybe more.

It is a book of meeting new and unexpected friends and a tiny adventure and surprises. Felica Bond has, of course created many other books, so this treasure is no surprise.

Time for Bed by Mem FoxThe last book is Time for Bed by Mem Fox, Jane Dyer Illustrator. This soothing, gentle bedtime rhyme sets just the right tone for the last book of the night. All the animals are ready for bed, from the bee to the horse, from the dog to the deer. Bedtime was so sweet reading this little gem.

All four books are books that I cannot bear to part with. Too many memories all wound up in the words.

Visit Elise at A Path Made Straight for more wonderful children's book recommendations and Children's Book Monday.

3 comments:

Renee's Reading Corner said...

All these books look wonderful! I know what I'll be giving at the next baby shower I attend. Thanks for sharing.

Anna said...

Wow, you introduced me to 3 new books! That's no small feat considering how much I love children's books. :) They all look great, too. (Our copy of Jamberry is getting worn out)

Thanks for reviewing them!

~Anna

tulipmom said...

Time for me to dig out "Time for Bed" and "Jamberry" which were two of SB's very favorite books all through infancy and toddlerhood. I can't wait to read them to my baby girl. I'm putting "Tumble Bumble" on my list to buy ... thanks for the recommendation!