This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, January 28, 2008

Children’s Book Monday--Miss Hickory

Miss Hickory by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

Miss HickoryMiss Hickory is a doll of the finest materials, her Hickory nut head is attached to her apple-wood twig body. She is dressed in clothes from her owner Anne and lives in a little corn cob hose at the base of the lilac bush. Life is perfect for Miss Hickory. That is until her owner leaves and forgets her prim and proper little doll.

Winter in New Hampshire isn’t easy if you are a twig doll with a nut for a head. Miss Hickory uses her wits and with the help of some of her friends embarks on her changing season adventure. Will Anne recognize her treasured toy upon her return.

Children's Book MondayFirst published in 1946, this Newbery Award winning story is a favorite of mine and my children. The lithograph illustrations by Ruth Gannett are the perfect compliment to this tiny adventure. Read it aloud, it is too good to miss.


Visit Elise at A Path Made Straight for more ideas for wonderful children’s books.


Technorati tags:

5 comments:

Anna said...

Miss Hickory!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED this book as a child and the memory of it had totally gone by the wayside once I grew up.

I was so surprised to see you reviewing it here - yet as I read your review, the story came to mind immediately as though I had read it yesterday.

I agree that it would be a great book for reading aloud. Thank you Julie, for reminding me! You made my day. :)

~Anna

Elise said...

Oh, how my youngest sister would love this! And myself as well... Eliana someday... I am adding it to my wishlist! Thank you, friend.
I wasn't able to post a review today, but I have provided a Mr. Linky- come on by so others may share in your review! :)

Laura said...

Thank you for your recommendations. I looked at last week's too and am excited about checking out some of these for Ella.

henryteachers said...

I've never heard of this. It sounds wonderful as well as your review on Miss Bishop. I love finding great treasured books. Thank you for sharing,
Mindy :)

Renee's Reading Corner said...

This sounds wonderful. I'm adding it to my library list! THanks for sharing.