This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hollywood Nobody—A Review

Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Samson

The first installment of a new series for Samson.

Fifteen year old Scotty Dawn is on the road with her rock-star resembling mother, hanging out on the sets of Indie films. She dresses in chic thrift store finds and has a lot of freedom and more than a few questions. Scotty Dawn and her mother, Charley, travel in an old RV she calls the Y. She meets famous people on a regular basis, but is more excited about the senior citizen RV-ers she meets at campsites along the highways en route to the next movie. Well there might be one up-and-coming young actor she is a little excited about…

Apparently I have been off the deep end of the earth because I’d never read one of Lisa Samson’s books until I received it as part of an author’s blog tour I participated in. I have to say I liked it and will be reading the following episodes.

Hollywood Nobody is tagged as a Young Adult read, a genre I enjoy on a regular basis. I can see that this story with many current culture references will grab young readers. I would recommend this for the fourteen and over crowd. Lots of dating and relationship references, although there are plenty of solid adults surrounding Scotty’s life to offset her offbeat mother and the teen angst. This is obviously a Christian book, and Samson is weaving it in a gentle and appealing fashion.

Hollywood Nobody, a fun, fast read.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I'm reading a book by Samson now called Club Sandwich. I'm trying really hard to like it but so far, I'm not feeling it. I'll soldier on though in hopes that I might come to like it. The book you mentioned sounds fun so maybe I'll give it a try if I make it through this one.