This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, January 21, 2008

A Year of Romance

Maria at Free to Fly is asking us about romance. She is, in fact, hostessing "The Year of Romance."

Weeeellll…hmmm…If you want to know how my Cave Geek speaks my “love language” you could read this post. To some that might not be very romantic, but it is to me!!

Fifteen years is not as long as some, but I think these days it is pretty impressive. We’ve agreed on how things should be, they are things that others might not see eye to eye with us on, but that is okay. We married each other and no one else. What keeps us going is the common bond, the common goal and the appreciation for the little things—he bought me the can opener, tonight I remembered he is in need of sweat socks. I’m telling you, they will not write a book about sweat socks. But it is those little things.

Romance is making coffee for the other to wake up to. It is ignoring my housekeeping (or lack of). It is being content just to be in the same house. My husband travels some and while I am a capable woman, it is just nicer to have him here. It is shared stupid jokes and finishing each other’s sentences. It is having the same sarcastic, smart-alec, barbed sense of humor. My sister’s affianced really thinks we are weird the way we talk to each other. We are not ummmmm…very, shall we say "courtly".

I don’t need the car door opened for me, but help with the groceries is nice. He can do his own laundry, but is ever so grateful to have me do it for him. (Out of compassion I did quit ironing his clothes, though. I ruined more than one pair of dress pants. Blush.) I don’t always need my hand held, but there are times I need a shoulder to cry one. He doesn’t need me to watch every football game with him, but if I will listen to him vent about the outcome of our team, it is nice. He takes my opinions about work and matters of our future and gives them weight and tells me they are valuable. And proves it with his decisions.

Newlyweds may have flames, but I’ll keep my cozy well stoked marriage. There was a time in our lives when we went dancing and dining. Now we settle for a two-step or a waltz in the kitchen. But the rhythm is still there.

Visit Maria and tell her (and us) what is romantic at your house?

4 comments:

freetofly said...

Be back later when I can take time & read more! This looks fun! Especially since you have so many new readers, me included!

Have a great day!
Maria

freetofly said...

Well that caps it! I am having such a bad PC day! Nothing earth-shatterring just lovely little gaffs! This comment was clearly not meant to be for this post! That is what I get for opening too many windows & making pancakes & such while I blog! :) Then to cap everything, I meant to unplug my heater & unplugged the PC Yippeee! :)

If I knew how to delete the one above, I would... sorry!

Your post is beautiful! I am so glad you are sharing your secret mojo! I agree it is the little, daily things that make it all work! And I love the talk about having basically your own language, that is so true isn't it? Over the years there are all these "inside jokes" one liners and such, no one else knows!

Thanks for shining soime light for us!

I am going over to your friends blog now!

blessings!
Maria

Tiffany said...

I think the little everyday things are very romantic. Romance is different for all of us. And you're right it depends on the personality of you and your mate. Some of us don't respond to the typical, sentimental romantic examples everyone thinks of, but then some of us do. What is important is that we think about the needs, desires, and happiness of our love ones above our selves. It sounds like your husband is very thoughtful in that way! It's nice to read something different. Variety is the spice of life! Blessings on your day!

Renee's Reading Corner said...

Julie,

I just had a chance to read through your post. How wonderful! I agree, it is the little things and the thoughtfulness for each other that is so wonderful to hear about. 15 years is an accomplishment! Great post; thanks for sharing.