This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Grains of Gratitude

I am grateful my husband has a good job, I am grateful my husband has a good job, I am grateful my husband has a good jobbut…and you heard that coming didn’t you? 

My husband is on the road again. He was gone a few days last week and will be gone for the largest part of this week. He works from home (telecommuting) about 75-85% of the time. So when he travels it really changes our lifestyle. And I miss him and the boys miss him. So I am grateful my husband has a good job and I am grateful that he’s home most of the time. And I am grateful I have such a great guy to miss.

Signs of spring are appearing slowly and I am so grateful. Winter seemed so long this year. And it wasn’t what one would call a “bad” winter for us. I think I am just getting old. Spring is my second favorite season (fall being the first) and it is fun to have noticeable changes to watch daily.

I am grateful for people who are nice to my boys.

The sweet lady who sat behind us in church last night blessed me. Our church family is huge (over 2000 families) and there is no way to know everyone. So when someone steps out and makes an effort to be kind it is such a blessing. She stopped us after Mass and asked if she was correct in remembering our boys had been welcomed into full membership of the Church on Easter Vigil. (She was correct. :) ) Then she proceeded to tell us how nice it was to see young men who were able to focus during worship and be so obviously interested the liturgy. She had something nice to say about each boy individually.

I was grateful she didn’t witness how “wonderfully” (not) the boys behaved in the car ride to the airport (for a rental car for my husband) last night. I am grateful my boys know when it is most important to use their best manners. It affords them several “byes” at home when the manners may fail.

We went to dinner at our favorite place last night after picking up the rental. (I was grateful not to have to cook!) One of the servers (not ours last night) is a beautiful young woman who consistently appears happy and friendly. She made it a point to stop by our table and talk to the boys & to tell us how much she likes to see them. She always makes us smile. Right before our food arrived, Roo (very uncharacteristically) spilled an almost full glass. He was embarrassed and near tears. She came over and put her arm around him and told him not to worry and things like that happened to other people all the time.

I need to remember how special it is when someone takes the time to speak kind and uplifting words. I need to do this more often for others. Just a few kind words can change a person’s entire day. That is my challenge for this week; to try to bless someone with just a few seconds of my time.

Grains of Gratitude began with Christine at Brady’s Bunch.

What are you grateful for?

4 comments:

Sonya said...

You've met your challenge for the week with this post! I was blessed at your expressions of gratitude. Many times, I'm guilty of not being more thankful for the little things.

My hubby works from home 90% of the time and I do dislike when he has to go to the office. What a wonderful thing to have this lady at church bless you with kind words about your children. I love it when that happens!

luvmy4sons said...

Yes. The power of life and death are in the tongue! That is great that you were so nicely blessed. May we all remember how much a few kind words can do.

freetofly said...

Julie, I have to say, that you are ALWAYS kind and encouraging, with neat insights to share in your comments, and your posts are always thought provoking and inspiring! You point us to beauty, grace, faith, beauty (did I say that already?)...

Your challenge is met multiple times!

xoxo,
Maria

Coach J said...

It makes me smile when people notice my kids, too. Especially when they've been on their best behavior! :0)
It IS good that you miss your man. Another way to look at it is, you truly couldn't be thankful for the times he is home if he was never gone. How's that?