This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Promise for Tomorrow--A Review

A Promise for Tomorrow by Sara Dubose

One summer in the mid-fifties, future sixth grader Fannie Lea Rockwell longs for some excitement, for a change from the everyday life she knows. Fannie Lea, also know as “Flea” for short, is about to get a little more than she bargained for.

Trespassing is never a good thing, even worse if you are a preacher’s daughter, and even worse if you run into Raymond Boyd while trespassing on his land. But that is exactly how Flea starts her summer and this one choice will affect the outcome of the next six months, and actually the rest of her life. It will affect not only Flea, but many of the townspeople around her.

Although I grew up a decade after this book was set, I could feel the intense memories of childhood, I was drawn in completely and felt I was there. Ms. Dubose allows Flea to tell her own story and the insights of this eleven year old are amazing. A Promise for Tomorrow is not a large book, only 200 pages. Yet it is rich and riveting, the characters well drawn and familiar to a reader.

A Promise for Tomorrow is definitely on the recommended reading list.

The original information from the press release is in the blog tour post.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Well, you know I need some more books..(wink, wink) but seriously this book sounds very intriguing. Thanks for sharing.
*smiles*
Kim