This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, June 9, 2008

Sharlie came to my house.

Sharlie came to my house. (No, not Charlie. Sharlie.)

He brought a parcel of friends w/him. Bucko, Jacko, Izzy, Addie and some other strange characters. He was Boo's best friend.

He had a lot of pets. He had no bedtime. Sharlie was in his 20s and drove a car. He did extraordinary things that my five year old only dreamed of doing. My son spoke constantly of Sharlie’s exploits. Of course, Sharlie was only in my son’s imagination.

Why do some children have imaginary friends? Do they fulfill dreams that can only remain dreams for most children? Roo never had imaginary friends. He played imaginary games in which all the world revolved around him—but it was different. Boo joined him most of the time. But sometimes Sharlie had to be included and that was where things got a little dicey. Roo didn’t always like Sharlie’s rules. Boo of course thought if Sharlie said it, it was law. Hmmm…wonder why?

Funny, but I never heard Boo talk to Sharlie. I had an imaginary friend and I talked to him all the time—alone, in public, bedtime. (I of course don’t do that anymore. He left for foreign lands in about first grade.)

It was at the dinner table that I heard of Sharlie’s adventures of the day. How many fish Sharlie caught. How late he stayed up. How many kittens he had. How big his fish tank was. How fast his car went. Sharlie was the expert on boy humor also. Humor involving the things that get one in trouble (especially at the table). Sharlie also didn’t have to help his parents. I think he may have helped too much and they kicked him out. That was why he lived with us.

Sharlie moved in for long enough that I was wondering if he needed a plate and his own towel. But he disappeared as quickly as he appeared.

I miss Sharlie sometimes.

2 comments:

sheryl said...

What a sweet post! Years down the road, you'll be so glad you wrote this :)
I still remember my invisible friend...Susie!

Renee' said...

Don't you just love when your childs imagination spurts wings and takes flight? I just love it when they do!!

I remember having an invisible friend too but I think your son's is much more exciting than mine (or what I remember of her. That was a LONG time ago - lol!)

Hope y'all are having a great day!