This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, July 18, 2008

I Hearted Gev

If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know that I don’t blog about television much, if ever. Mostly because I don’t watch it. Home & Garden’s House Hunter’s is about the extent of my viewing. I watched the last two or three episodes of @merican Idol because we knew someone who knew someone who knew the winner (who I hearted quite a bit—but I always watched him on YouTube).

But a while back I started watching So You Think You Can Dance. I was head over heels. If you know much about me, you know I love dance. Specifically ballet, but any form of dance gets my attention. Now I passed on Dancing with the Stars, I peeked at Your Mama Don’t Dance (cute idea) a couple of times, but So You Think You Can Dance caught my heart because in ten years or less my oldest son could be doing that. My youngest would only be a few years behind.

My sons dance. A fact that gets us some quizzical looks and some unenlightened remarks sometimes. But I am very proud of what they do. They’ve joined me in my watching and have become quite the dance critics. We all have our favorites, but one of the ones we all agreed on was Gev. Gev got sent home last night. And Roo ended up in a surprising emotional state. I had to explain to him, that this is the way of the world of performing in any way—it is always an audition. Some will get the part, win the competition, do better one night than anyone else. Some won’t.

And in a way, that is really a metaphor for life; job interviews, relationships, competitions of any sort, athletic or artistic. This has been a great show to open the boys’ eyes. A few lessons we have learned vicariously are: take your corrections with a positive attitude and a smile, never speak negatively to judges (or teachers) or in front of a camera, win and lose graciously, when you dance—throw it all out there and dance your heart out. You will never second guess yourself that way.

Gev is a street dancer/break dancer who during the show has done contemporary broadway jazz, hip hop, ballroom, and jive. His attitude has been so positive. His smile is so sweet. I’m easily old enough to be his mom, and like I said, can see my boys doing this kind of thing. I had a tear or twenty when Gev got cut.

Shows like this break my heart, but at the same time they can be a really fun thing. This seems to be a sweet group of excellent dancers who, for the most part, I would be proud to know. Bittersweet fun.

I don't know how long these links will stay up. But if you haven't seen the show, here are my favorite three dances from Wednesday night.

Disclaimer: If you are easily offended by dance costumes or content, probably best to skip over. If not--enjoy!

Chelsea and Gev



Courtney and Joshua



Katee and Will

1 comment:

freetofly said...

How did I miss this? Excellent thoughts! Our society is sadly lacking in the understanding that we can't all be the "chiefs" all the times and we can't all be winners at everything ALL the time. We must serve and we must lose, and we must at times lead and not follow, and sometimes we get to win! Our pastor mentioned recently that he heard a news story - and in referring to students who failed (that's get an "F") the person speaking refused to call it that, they wanted to call it "Delayed Success - no mention of an "F" as the grade)! Arrgghh!

A HUGE part of life is learning how to get back up and dust ourselves off, to fall forward, to not give up, and to be gracious in all these things - winning and losing...

Ok. sorry for the soap box!! :)

xoxo,
maria