This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Saturday, November 15, 2008

What American accent do you have?

I found this test over at Our Little Monkeys and had fun taking it. You know I love these bloggy tests!

I find accents terribly fascinating. But my husband (darling man, love of my life--so I say this with all the love in the world) is fascinated with accents even more.

My guy has a habit of picking up accents when talking to people with them. And then often having a better version of their accent than they do! He has a knack of being able to identify peoples accents down to cities sometimes--even those of people from other countries. He's kind of weird like that. (It's okay he calls me "spooky" about things, so again he knows I say these things with all the love in the world.)

He also spent summers growing up at the family dairy farm near where Missouri and Arkansas meet so he has a hidden accent that slips out when he is very relaxed. He was also a DJ in a former life so he has a "professional voice" which is very rich and full. He was still occasionally a DJ when I met him so that was the voice I heard a lot at the beginning of our relationship.

Having grown up in the Midwest the test results weren't much of a surprise, and I did have a radio show in college. But in honesty, I have gotten a little lazy after over fifteen years in this vicinity. So sometimes you get some "fer's" instead of "for's" and dropped "g's" and some "git's" instead of "get's." So I think my announcer days are over. Ahhhhh welll...anyway:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The South

Philadelphia

The Northeast

The Inland North

The West

Boston

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


So what is your accent?

6 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Well at least we have a good voice for TV or radio! LOL! Once again the same results as you!

Linds said...

Um well..... I came out North East. This makes me grin, because I am South African born, but British, so I have a very different accent, and would never be called American!

Barbara H. said...

I got the same results though I have lived in the Southeast all my life.

Carrie said...

Your Result: The Inland North


You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop"

Well, it sure pegged me! Although I DO not have a Chicago accent. There is a elongation of short "A's" and a nasal quality that I never picked up on, thank goodness. Actually, in my younger days I had to learn to remove the "r" from the word "wash". Oh? There isn't an "r" in there? Tell that to my Iowan family.

Michelle M. said...

It is so neat that you had a radio show in college. My husband has a great voice for something like that- well, he can sing, too!

I love taking quizzes like that; especially when the results are accurate. :)

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I've done that test before and I don't think it is accurate for me. I have a real mixture now having family in the upper midwest and then living now on the east coast. I pick up accents easily and they all meld together to be something different. :)