This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand?

Five Minutes for Books offers the monthly meme--What's On Your Nightstand. I thought that would be a nice one to join. So here's my "nightstand" also known as "scattered around the messy house:"

The Restless Sea (The Morland Dynasty Book 27)
by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. This series is fabulous, thirty books deep so far, covering the history of England. I've learned so much and enjoyed it all the way.

When Mothers Pray by Cheri Fuller. Can you ever pray to much for your children? I don't think so. I've enjoyed re-reading this book. My husband gave this to me when the boys were tiny; I think it's meant more for me this time.

Grim Tuesday (The Keys to the Kingdom Book 2) by Garth Nix. I read Mr. Monday for the Fall into Reading Challenge 2008. I didn't think I would go back for more at the time, but Roo, my oldest has really gotten into the series and I want to be aware of what he is reading. This is in his words, "a bit gratuitous" in the weirdness, but hard to put down, nonetheless.

It's Not the Same without You
by Mitch Finley. This was a "stumble on" from the library. As a Catholic returning to the Church after a long absence, I've been blessed by every page.

The Last of the Mohicans
is sitting there...it's not reading itself, either. I'm having a hard time getting into that. I think it will be the last one I read for the Winter Reading Challenge.

I have been starting my mornings with prayer and reading before I start the computer and it has been a blessing. Morning readings are from:

Abide in My Word
St. Joseph's Daily Prayer Book
But Who Do You Say I Am? by Bishop John A. Marshall
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

I am participating in the Winter Reading Challenge and the Chunkster Challenge 2009. They are overlapping, so I hope I can finish.

What's on your nightstand?

11 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Wow. That is a BIG night stand! We only have my hubby's Bible and Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest. But once again I got great book ideas from you!

Barbara H. said...

I've not heard of many of those.

Mine are mostly on a bookshelf (double-stacked...)

DebD said...

I keep meaning to participate in this meme but always forget. Great list!

BecauseImTheMommy said...

I am loving the Anne Rice book. I would recommend you picking it up again. I think I need to pick up When Mother's Pray. I blew through Twilight too. I read all 4 books in a week. LOVED them! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!

Gene Bach said...

The other day I read "The Old Man and the Sea" again. Hadn't read it for many years. It was still a great book.

Winging It said...

Oh! Too many good things! I liked so many for trying!

I too am (trying, not always on target here) to read FIRST before blogging....when I am successful, it is SOOO rewarding. And at least a few nights per week I make sure to go to bed in time to read a tiny bit.

I am re-reading Screwtape Letters and getting so much pleasure out of it...and also Tolkien's The Two Towers again.

And I am doing a Read The Bible in 1 Yr Chronological Plan, and LOVING it! I have never taken to one like this...Enjoying it IMMENSELY!

Thanks for all the good inspirations in this post!

I loved your son's vocab also!

xoxo,
Maria

gemma said...

I love Oswald Chambers. How did he cram so much wisdom into such a short life? I've been loving Witness by Whittaker Chambers...I know you would love it too.

Leah in Iowa said...

Are the Morland Dynasty books Christian fiction, or just historical fiction? Would you let your 14YOD read them if you had one? =)

Joyful Days said...

Leah,

Morland Dynasty books are not Christian fiction. I would not qualify them as young adult, although apparently the average teen these days sees a lot in movies and on t.v.

But they are not "bodice rippers" either, and and the history is very well researched. I've had a good course in British history reading them. But there is wedding, bedding and infidelity--definitely reality.

The relationships are more intense than say, Jane Austen or Bronte sisters, but less so than Edith Wharton, Virginia Woolf or Diana Gabaldon. Maybe content-wise like Rosamunde Pilcher.

The language and story line is complex and doesn't lend itself to skimming--not a fast read and I am a fast reader. I go through them at a good pace only because everything else suffers when I read them. (Bad me!)

14 is a very hard age--if she were mine, I would probably say wait, but I know 14yos reading all sorts of things. Maybe with adult supervision...? I'd err on the side of caution and say 16-18.

I would recommend anything by Bess Streeter Aldrich (Miss Bishop I love) and a book called Where the Broken Heart Still Beats by Carolyn Meyer. Jane Austen is always good, the Bronte sisters. James Herriot is always an uplifting read. Charles Dickens is pretty meaty.

Hope that helps.

avisannschild said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Morland Dynasty series! They sound interesting and I've wondered if they were any good.

Renee said...

Julie, you have a great list of books! I'm going to check out the Morland Dynasty series. Pea Jr. is interested in Mr. Monday series and we'll be trying that out as well. Have a great weekend!