This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Telephone...

Remember the old party game of telephone? Everyone sits in a circle. Someone starts by whispering a sentence into the next person's ear and they do the same...and by the time it gets back to the originator...well, it's got nothing to do with the actual first sentence. But it is funny to see how stories go.

Yesterday ended with a version of "Telephone" at our house.

I called the wonderful woman who is the administrator at the extracurricular activity school the boys attend. I needed to let the school know Roo and our little carpool passenger would not be in class.

It just so happened I called her from the radiology clinic and I was stressed. Roo had complaints of abdomen pain, to the point he was bent over. The doctor at urgent care was concerned and quickly shooed us across the way to get an ultrasound and x-ray. Definite bladder infection. Possible appendicitis.

Well...apparently ultrasound and x-ray are not the "gold standard" for diagnosis, but CT scans are not done lightly on young bodies. The tests didn't show anything, but the doctor sent us home with antibiotics and admonitions to "watch him carefully." If he had any more complaints it was, "go directly to the ER." Do not pass "GO", do not...well...enough that I was still concerned.

But I digress...back to our game of "Telephone."

I emailed (instead of phoning) the results to the administrator, not wanting to bother her during the busy hours of classes. The e-mail I got back was:

Dear Julie,

I will say a little prayer that it is just the infection. Thank you for letting us know. I informed
"Roo's" teacher that he was at the hospital and I did not know any details. Unfortunately, she told the class that "Roo" was IN the hospital. I heard about this when kids came to me to ask for his address to send a card. I never thought she would divulge this to the class – much less the error that he was IN the hospital. So I sincerely apologize if you receive calls. Take care of yourselves and let us know if there is any way we can help.

Ms.___


We were a bit surprised at that! But at the same time it was a blessing to know that we have people all over who care about us so much. I think Roo was especially blessed to know his classmates cared about him.

My friend, who is also the mother of our little carpooler, brought me a quiche, a card and a balloon and told Roo her child was really concerned and he could call her if he wanted to later. The funny/sweet thing about this is that the two kids usually banter/bicker the whole car ride. A lot like siblings.

Oh why did I get the card & balloon and not Roo???

'Coz the alternate title to this post was--"How I Spent My 45th Birthday"

11 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Aaawh! Poor Roo! And Happy Birthday to you. It is nice to know how much others care for us! Hope Roo is one the mend soon!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Birthday! May the dear Lord Bless you today and always!!! Each day is full of surprises for us for sure. Hope all is well with Roo and that you enjoyed a little part of your special day.
'On Ya'-ma

heidi @ ggip said...

Aww. I hope he is better soon. Sounds like no fun at all.

And, yes, that telephone thing gets totally out of hand quickly!!!!

Renee said...

Happy Birthday, Julie! Hope all is well with Roo and that he gets better soon.

Leah in Iowa said...

Happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday, dear Julie,
happy birthday to you!

Hope it was happy in even the smallest of ways. =)

Barbara H. said...

What a surprising and real life twist to the way you told the story!! A belated happy birthday to you! I hope that Roo is better and that you got to celebrate at some point! It is a blessing that people were so ready to share their care when they thought Roo was in the hospital.

Carrie said...

Happy birthday! I hope that Roo is feeling better soon.

gemma said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Hope that today finds Roo well and happy cuz that would be the very best birthday present for his Mom!

45 -- you are such a youngster!

Happy Day.

Kim said...

Happy birthday, Julie! I hope you had a good one despite being "at" the hospital with Roo. How wonderful to know you and your child are so cared for. Thank you for visiting my site and commenting. It's good to see you back after Lent. I hope you had a wonderful, blessed Lent and Easter!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday!!

Mrs.Pogle said...

Happy birthday! I hope you had a great day :)

We call that game "Chinese whispers" here in the UK :)

Mrs.P xx