This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, March 10, 2011

FiveThings to Be Thankful For this Friday: A Bump in the Road

I really pondered giving up driving for Lent.

I do not like automobiles.

But I don't think my Lenten journey should involve giving up one of my many jobs: Chauffeur.

My children need driving. I must head north to visit my father. The grocery store is too far away to walk....Nah...cannot give up driving.

But that said...

I spent all yesterday morning getting vehicles serviced, waiting in waiting rooms, getting vehicles tagged & paying taxes, standing in lines, driving, driving, driving.

I got home and my husband planned on taking his lunch break to run to the hardware store.

Two minutes later he called me. "Did you know that you were driving on a flat tire?"

Today, my husband is waiting for a new set of tires. We had hoped to put this off until closer to summer...Nahhh...Why put off tomorrow and all that...jazz.

Here's my Five Thankfuls:

At least it was at a slow speed.
At least the rim was not bent.
At least the weather was not bad.
At least it was close to home.
At least I wasn't driving. (I would have just sat down on the curb and cried.)

Dear Lord: Thank you for transportation and safe travel. Help us to be responsible with our resources. Teach us to see the good in the midst of the challenges. Thank you for my husband who keeps me trucking along.

Counting it all joy,

Julie

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love your 5 thankfuls--and could easily have been written by me! While I don't really mind driving myself, I do mind all the other drivers on the road. =) OH, and the expense of cars. Sigh...we need new tires on both of our vehicles too.
Glad you were kept safe--and have a wonderful Monday.
*smiles*

Barbara H. said...

I've wished I could give up driving, too, sometimes, but it would be a problem for my family if I couldn't, and I do really like being able to take myself around without having to wait for someone else to drive.

I'm glad for all those "at leasts" too. :-)