This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, March 31, 2014

Feast vs. Fast

How are your Lenten fasts/goals holding up? Are you the person who endures more than the forty days? Does every day count as fast or do you allow the "mini-feast" of Sunday? There are merits to both approaches.

I've practiced both this year. There were a few Lenten fasts that I've allowed myself to break from on Sundays and a couple that I've held tight to everyday. Then, if I'm being honest, there's one I've just not managed well.

The ones I've not allowed Sunday "breaks" are the one that seemed to me to control me in the area of time. They have the potential, I am sad to say, to consume my attention, to consume my better judgement. They are the ones that I am going to have to continue to wrestle with outside of Lent.

The fasts that I've broken on Sundays have been the ones that I felt I needed to see where I stood with. They are choices that I will probably continue to moderate during the year.

We live in such a rich and abundant society, I doubt we have to look very far to find something to "give up for Lent." First world problems...

Counting it all joy,

Julie

1 comment:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's been a difficult fast for me. Each day has been a challenge. But I guess it's all good.