The boys took their first PE class yesterday. It was with a group of other homeschoolers and they started learning the fundamentals of basketball. I thought they were going to explode with anticipation in the weeks leading up to their class. Roo in his characteristic worry-wart style was concerned about our punctuality. We went to a building I hadn’t seen in years and were welcomed in and got registered.
It was, to me, an impressive situation. It seemed obvious it was a very diverse group. Everyone was pleasant and the children were…well, all homeschooled. Since I have taken us on the independent track for a long time, and the boys only participate in one other on-going outside activity, it was a novelty to be around that many homeschooled children and their parents. They definitely did not fall into the cookie cutter stereotype that is attached often to homeschoolers.
But about basketball…Parents were welcome to hangout and watch or go socialize (that word) with other parents. I chose to read the first half to allow the boys to focus on their teacher and came in later when they were intent on the skills they were learning.
There was a pretty large range in ages and skills. Interestingly enough, many older children were no better than some younger ones and some of the young ones were pretty far along. They were all very encouraging to each other for the most part. The teacher, a wonderful homeschool mom, was at the same time very patient but in control and kept the class organized and moving. Not to long working on “this”, making sure there was enough “that.” My boys were at the level of “we own a basketball and a toddler hoop, but really don’t know much about it stage.” I alternately laughed and marveled at their attempts and triumphs, and was pleased to see them jump in whole-heartedly after a shy start. They were instructed, encouraged and challenged
Class ended and I was filled in on all the exciting details, confirming this was, indeed, a good choice. On to the next activity and then home and I must say they were worn out in the best way. Now they are counting the days to the next basketball class…Does that count as math—kidding!!
It was, to me, an impressive situation. It seemed obvious it was a very diverse group. Everyone was pleasant and the children were…well, all homeschooled. Since I have taken us on the independent track for a long time, and the boys only participate in one other on-going outside activity, it was a novelty to be around that many homeschooled children and their parents. They definitely did not fall into the cookie cutter stereotype that is attached often to homeschoolers.
But about basketball…Parents were welcome to hangout and watch or go socialize (that word) with other parents. I chose to read the first half to allow the boys to focus on their teacher and came in later when they were intent on the skills they were learning.
There was a pretty large range in ages and skills. Interestingly enough, many older children were no better than some younger ones and some of the young ones were pretty far along. They were all very encouraging to each other for the most part. The teacher, a wonderful homeschool mom, was at the same time very patient but in control and kept the class organized and moving. Not to long working on “this”, making sure there was enough “that.” My boys were at the level of “we own a basketball and a toddler hoop, but really don’t know much about it stage.” I alternately laughed and marveled at their attempts and triumphs, and was pleased to see them jump in whole-heartedly after a shy start. They were instructed, encouraged and challenged
Class ended and I was filled in on all the exciting details, confirming this was, indeed, a good choice. On to the next activity and then home and I must say they were worn out in the best way. Now they are counting the days to the next basketball class…Does that count as math—kidding!!
No comments:
Post a Comment