This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Growing Up

Dear Boo,

When you went to bed last night, I kissed you and tucked you in. You giggled and laughed and tried to make the day last just a few minutes longer. You never want the day to end. You always want a little more fun.

You are the child who told me, “I don’t want to grow up, Mommy! I want to stay a little boy.” You are my Peter Pan. You’ve fought growing every step of the way. Don’t want to potty train, don’t want to tie shoes, don’t want to read, don’t want to…everything has had to wait until you were ready, until it was your idea. When something became “your idea” then we had to Run! Fast! To get to where you wanted to be. NOW!

But who is this child who got out of your bed today? He has your tousled hair and your so full brown eyes. His face looks like yours will when you grow up.

Wait, it is you.

Did I blink again? How do you do that trick? You turn into someone new every now and then. We go along and I have your features memorized, I know your mannerisms and quirks. Just when I know you so well, you change. You get “older” and bigger, and don’t need Mommy quite so much.

I know that is how God planned it. I know His way is best. But I just want to freeze a few more minutes while you fit on my lap. I want to bury my nose in your hair that smells like sunshine, squish you tight and a smooch on your cheek. You need a tickle too.

What’s that? Oh, you need to get off, get up, run and play. Alright, I think I will just sit here and watch and memorize this “new you” for a while.

I am going to send this post to Michelle at Scribbit for her April Write Away Contest.

Edited finally to add--this post received an honorable mention in Michelle's Contest.

8 comments:

JennaG said...

Don't make me cry! I can't stand the thought of my little boy growing up and I can't stand the thought of him not.

annie said...

It just happens so fast. Where has the time gone?

Bss said...

It hits me that they are changing and growing right after they get a hair cut. They always look older!

scribbit said...

I never appreciate how cute they are at an age until they get older and I look back at their pictures from younger years and I think "How could they have been so cute and I so busy being a mom not to realize it?"

Then I slow down and appreciate them a little more each time.

Robin said...

What a sweet post. The time slips by so quickly, and then it's gone...

Chris said...

Congrats on the Honorable Mention. Beautiful post!

SusieJ said...

You said this so well -- it brings tears. I wish we could slow it down, and reel them back in! Congratulations -- this was a very beautiful entry.

Sheryl said...

Oh.My. Word. You can W R I T E!!
What talent you have for capturing those special moments!
Beautiful!