This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday


Videos that work for Homeschoolers.


The Best of the Electric Company and Schoolhouse Rock have been excellent videos to supplement our homeschooling. The boys really love these and ask for more. I always get drawn in and the boys are always amazed and amused that Mom can sing/recite almost all of the skits and lyrics. Premiering in the early 70s (Electric Company in 1971 and Schoolhouse Rock in 1973) they are what I grew up on and loved. While not quite older than dirt (a title reserved for me) they are from an era that was just a bit more, well…not today. They, sadly don’t make television like this any more.


Old-fashioned? Maybe, but these two DVDs work for us. For more Works for Me Wednesdays go visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer, the best tips of bloggers are found there.

13 comments:

Nikki said...

I remember both of these! I didn't think to check to see if they were available on DVDs. Now I'm headed straight to Amazon to find them! Thanks for sharing. :)

Overwhelmed! said...

I remember these too! I wonder if my local library carries either of these. I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I loved The Electric Company, but it was on cable which we were too poor to get :-( Now and then I'd see School House Rock too, which would be so much fun to show my kids. I'll look around for these, maybe someone is eBaying them.

Joyful Days said...

Library is a good resource but we had to wait a month for the Electric Company. We own Schoolhouse Rock.

Rae said...

Great recommendations! Thanks for sharing! =)

Jane said...

i didn't know that they even made the Electric Company on DVD! It'll will go on my Amazon list. You are so right, they don't make TV like this anymore!

Amberly said...

We have the Schoolhouse Rock cd and my kids and I love it! My 3 year old can count by threes and I didn't even have to teach her! I would love to have the dvd!

Mom2fur said...

My kids loved those shows when they were little! My 22-year-old daughter still remembers, "Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function?"

annie said...

Thats a trip down memory lane, I loved electric company!!!
blessings~
Annie

Lori said...

Oh my goodness, I am going to have to look for these. I loved The Electric Company, and still remember so many of those Schoolhouse Rock songs!

Kathleen Marie said...

My kids loved School House Rock and my granddaughter loves Baby Einstein dvds. Thanks!

Jenny in Ca said...

we love school house rock here too!

Liza's Eyeview said...

I love the Electric Company. Thanks for the reminder - I should get the DVD for our family.

The School House Rock - on we have that and watch it so many times!!!