This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Picture of Life

...or so it seems. It's not really my picture, but you get the idea.

We've had some typical cold & flu type stuff, much due to seasonal allergies. It's hit Boo first and Roo thought it looked fun and tried it out. My husband and I decided to fight it off and have been semi-successful so far. We'll see how that really ends. School has been happening, but a little less intensely. I'm trying to let the sleep as much as possible to fight off those icky germs.

Our actual anniversary day (last Friday) was lovely. We went to Mass at 9 a.m. with the boys and our best friends and my god-daughter and afterwards, renewed our wedding vows and had our marriage blessed. We went out for brunch after. It was just one of those perfect moments in time where you want to freeze everything.

I got to wear my new outfit & my husband got a new sport coat. I was so impressed! He got it after I got my outfit. He had coordinated it with my skirt and sweater. Somehow a very sweet jewelry box with garnets and citrines got stuck in his pocket. I was just flabbergasted. I felt like a teen again.

There've been a few IRL questions about why we did everything special on our 16th anniversary--why not last year on the 15th or wait until the 20th? Well...many reasons. This year some things were very important to us that have been growing in our hearts since last year. It was something important to share with our children. Some of the "goodies" would not have been possible last year, and frankly may not be possible next year.

Why not wait until the 20th? Because we're not promised anything but the moment and each day is important. Not just the years that end in 0 and 5. Life's too short!! I'm glad we did what we did.

That evening we went to the ballet. Season tickets have been my anniversary, Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day gift for the last couple years. Many years it's been a stretch for us to do so, but it's been important for the boys and I just love it. It was fabulous. The boys were able to see a few of their teachers, both past and present, dance marvelously. We actually have improved our seating each year and this year was the best.

It was a really good weekend, in spite of increasing sniffles and sneezes for the boys. They were able to rest and enjoy most of the time. My husband and I were able to enjoy time together and lots of talking. He's a blessing.

As a bonus blessing, he's been offered a full-time position with the company he's contracted with for a while. The contractor position has been a good opportunity. I was very leery of him taking it, but he was right, and it's worked out well. The full-time position will offer us some much coveted extras on insurance that are hard to come by when one self-insures. And are "of an age."

Moving was optional. But we decided to stay. We're still not moving. In this economy, I think a full-time job and a sufficient roof over our heads is really more than a blessing. God knows where we need to be. We need to listen.

Tuesday I joined girlfriends of almost twenty years to celebrate two birthdays. We went to a restaurant that was super! Asian soups and dumplings, yum, yum!! I would have never found it on my own. Much laughter and reminiscing that can only come with relationships that have evolved over much time.

I've been reflecting on how we've all changed. The youngest of our group just turned 29 and I met her when she was 10. I won't say how old our "oldest" is...I'm somewhere in the middle.

But we've been friends through horse shows, boyfriends, surgeries, job changes, marriages, divorces, deaths, childbirths, moving, book publishings, parties and more. We've laughed, cried, disagreed, fought, made up, consoled and celebrated. We are comprised of two Catholics, three Protestants of various observance, and an agnotstic; or, a professor & author, two mommies, two successful accountants and one very creative one who should be starting her own business. Three have no children--one of those would like to be a mom; two have stepchildren--one of those also has her own child; and then there's me with two children. How different are we?

Through all of this and more driving to dance I've been trying to pack for a trip north on Sunday. I've been trying to keep up on the daily needs and school. I'm trying to start a venture that's been brewing in my heart & mind for over a year; trying to be available for some new friends...

Whew!! I'm a bit well...winded. But it's a great sort of winded. After typing all of that I sat and looked and said, "I am very blessed!"

12 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

First of all I loved the video and so did my boys. And lately I feel as if I am chasing my tail too. So glad you took time to celebrate life and your anniversary. We are not guaranteed another day which I learned so well after I hit that tree! God bless you. You are greatly blessed!

Linds said...

Your anniversary celebration sounds perfec to me - now is always the best time - no-one knows what lies ahead. Wonderful!

I absolutely love ballet too, and my children all enjoy going to watch performances. For me, it is the perfect combination of music, movement and artistry.

I hope you are all better soon!

DebD said...

what a lovely idea to have your marriage blessed.

I hope you all get better real soon.

Michelle M. said...

Despite the sickness, it sounds like the perfect week! Congratulations on your wedding being blessed. My husband wants to do that and we'll have only been married 5 years, but, like you said, we don't know what the future holds. I hope you are all feeling better soon!

Carrie said...

Your anniversary does sound perfect! What a great thing to do.

I hope that you and your husband manage to avoid the cold/flu/allergies. They certainly are going around.

Hope your weekend is as perfect as your anniversary. Garnets/citrines sounds beautiful.

annie said...

That is amazing! If Matt coordinated his clothes with mine I would faint. Really!

Renee said...

Great video ~ life does seem to be like that sometimes - LOL. Congratulations on your anniversary, renewing your vows and having your marriage blessed! That is so neat. Congrats to your hubby (and all of you too)on his new job!

Your group of friends sounds wonderful. Glad you had such a great time.

Have a wonderful weekend!

gemma said...

What a great anniversary Julie. Congratulations again and again. Your friends sound delightful and isn't it great to have those ties? I know how much I appreciate my small and eclectic group of "hens". We got that name from the sound we make when we are together...we all talk at once and laugh without any restraint.

You are so right to seize the moment and encapsulate that feeling of bliss and blessing.

deb said...

The video looked a bit like my own dog, Kieba. She is a very goofy, shepard mix.

I am so happy that your anniversary went well. My own is coming up this Halloween(I got married on my birthday LOL) It will be 20 years for us this Oct 31rst! What a wonderful celebration that you had. And how wise of you to understand that our tomorrows aren't guarenteed.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful anniversary celebration!

Sonya said...

What a wonderful celebration! Sounds like a full weekend!

I've been thinking a lot about my friends of 20 years and how different we are. I don't talk to many of them anymore but would love to. You've inspired me to try and get in touch with some of them!

The ballet is wonderful and I am a little jealous that you get season tickets! LOL! My youngest loves the ballet and will go anytime I can take her!

mum2brady said...

Julie - what wonderful times! Your anniversary sounds wonderful! And - how cool about season tickets to the ballet - what a wonderful thing, your boys will always remember, and no doubt pass on to their children. I'm always sad I can't give my kids more cultural experiences - well - all at the same time - we try to take the kids to shows and plays, but they aren't always of the "professional" quality :) I think it was great that you seized the moment and did what you needed to do - life is fragile - and you just never know!

I was blessed reading your post - thank you!