This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Standing Firm/Staying Put (Part Three)

Part One & Part Two

Since the moment I stepped into this duplex I have been trying to figure how to move out again.

But we've decided not to move.

In this home for almost five years God has drawn us back to Him. He has shown us what and who (and WHO) is most important. He has given us opportunities to repair a lot of damage we created. We have gone from in debt over our eyeballs to most likely being debt free by the end of the year. How’s that for a Christmas present?

He has given our sons some stability even when circumstances were less than desirable. He has allowed us opportunities for our sons to find and expand their talents. He has allowed us to homeschool—something we’ve not wanted to compromise on.

In this home we have seen joy, even in the worst of times.

In this home we have learned about contentment.

And I think we (I) have a few more lessons to learn.

*********************************

Since the moment I stepped into this duplex I have been trying to figure how to move out again.

But I am not.

And I am okay with it. At least most of the time. We are pretty sure we will move. We have a target city, although since I’ve opened my mind about staying, I’ve opened up about the location of our future.

This place is where we are going to stay a while longer for a few reasons:

First, while I dislike the neighborhood, it could be worse. It is a known evil.

Second our landlord is easy to get along with. While she’s not great about making this place a palace, she minds her own business and not ours.

Third, the rent is cheap. It would cost us double to rent elsewhere for about five hundred more square feet.

Other thoughts are: it is within walking distance of a bus line, grocery store, library, pharmacy, our insurance agent, gas stations and some doctors’ offices. When you share a wall, either in a duplex, townhome, apartment, whatever, you take chances with the neighbors. We sit out with ours quite often and chat. So again, it could be worse.

We have decided to make this place comfortable. The money that we would have spent moving (deposits, utility changes, etc.) we are going to use for some much needed storage solutions. We are going to save for new appliances. Hopefully the ones we have will last the rest of our time here. We could buy them if we had to, but moving appliances is hard on them and hard on us—I am really getting older!! The last move about wiped me out. I fell down a tiny flight of steps and took three weeks to get over it. And still had to move in the meantime.

We decided to paint if it will make me happier. And you know color does help moods. I’ve taken a good look at what it would involve to paint and maybe it would be a good idea—not easy, but a good idea.

I’ve been reading a lot about people decluttering and minimizing. I never thought I could do that. I’m a packrat, I mean crafter. I love books, I love stuff. But if I don’t get rid of some of this I will have to move it when the time comes. I’ve decided to quit buying things that I don’t need right now. Except books. I mean I am going to quit buying things.

We didn’t come to this decision lightly. Since making it, there have been many incidents that have caused us to rethink our choice. We feel like we are being tested.

But I’ve seen what it looks like when GOD wants you to move. You can try to thumb your nose at Him, but if you allow Him to work it seems to go much easier and the rewards...well they are of God's choosing. I'm finally to the point I'd rather have God's good choices for me than my poor picks.

So for now…We are staying put, standing firm.

*********************************

Coach Jenny wrote a wonderful post that mirrored my thoughts and blessed me to read. I encourage you to check it out!

6 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

It is funny how God teaches us and refines us in ways we never would have planned on. I was encouraged by your attitude. God bless you sister!

MotoMom said...

Once again I can relate - the last minute job offer. :) I hope you can find contentment until God decides to move you. A little sprucing up will certainly lift your spirits!

Renee said...

Way to go, Julie! I can oh, so relate. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I've enjoyed reading this series. It is always interesting to see how God works through individual circumstances.

freetofly said...

So wise you are! I love the decisions your family is making. I KNOW you will look back and KNOW you did a good thing here! I smiled when I saw a couple of things - that fact that you can enjoy sitting and chatting with neighbors, that blesses those kids no end I promise you! Right now they take it for granted, but in years to come they will look back and know that was an unsualy blessing!

And I am a reformed pack rat! When we moved 8 years ago - that was part of the 2nd chance - I made a committment to not save every ever loving thing under the sun! :) Every once in a while I start to notice little piles here and there - and I make myself go tackle them. Its a great feeling!

Maybe a yard sale would pay for 1 of the appliances?

Debt free by Christmas! Yahoo! So wish I could say that! Its possible, but not likely!

I will check out that post!

xoxo,
Maria

P.S. My 15 yr old actually got to the END of that red dot! He LOVED it and showed his friends who spent the night!

Kim said...

What a beautiful series of posts, Julie. You are a wonderful writer and this last post brought tears to my eyes. We have been there. We are still there in many ways. Life is not what I thought it would be, but one of the lessons I think I am learning is that it is okay that life is different than I planned and I need to rest in Him and trust Him. I heard a quote lately that rings true to me. "If you want to make God laugh, tell him YOUR plans"!

I am confident that if you are able to fix things up a bit, organize a bit, and make the space work a bit more for you, you will feel a bit more positive.

We have faced the fact that we will be staying in our 3 bedroom, 25 year old rambler house--we will never probably own a nice brand new house in a new development. But we never thought we would own a house at all, and the Lord blessed us with this house. We have been in this *starter* house for 14 years and we have a lot of happy memories. Now we are focusing on making the space work for us---moving bedrooms, building closets and fences and ect.. and ect...It is not what I had always planned, but for now at least I can know that it is what God has planned.

God bless you dear one---
*smiles and hugs*
Kim