This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Standing Firm/Staying Put (Part Two)

Part One

Yesterday I started to tell you about why I am not moving even though I really want to. Even though I am watching other people move and I think it is exciting.

The story starts not almost five years ago when we moved in here, but almost sixteen years ago when we got married.

************************************

When we got married we were not in a good financial position. We tried to avoid our obligations. We lived four miles south of this house. We both had jobs at least 45 minutes from home. We had one car.

Young, newly married, I am embarrassed to admit, very irresponsible, living like two adult children we made a really big mess of things.

And then we ran away.

After three years of marriage we packed up and ran to another state to live near my parents. We both took extremely low paying jobs, but, hey—could it be any worse than the cost of living where we were?

We were about to find out.

One of my major irresponsibilities was a beautiful Morgan show horse, Beau. I was working 40 hours a week in the ophthalmologists’ office to pay the regular bills and at least that many hours at the horse barn where I kept him to pay for his upkeep. It was not a good recipe for a stable marriage. A marriage spent in a stable, maybe, but…yeah it was a bad pun.

Anyway…we ran, horse in tow. And we landed for two months (November and December) in a cardboard box shack clapboard house straight out of Little House on the Prairie. I kid you not. I was really stupid and didn’t take photos. But it was built before the turn of the century. The walls were lathe and plaster and about two inches thick, maybe two inches. We only paid $50 a month for it. It had no furnace. My father bought/loaned us a portable furnace that sat in the dining room. Did I mention--November and December?

Housing improved a little after that we lived in three different farm houses in less than three years. For a short time we lived in what was my favorite place. (The big white farmhouse.)

Then we moved nine hours away, bought a house we never should have, only to manage to sell it days before it was foreclosed on. (The ranch--loved the house, just had no business buying it.)

Then with the boys we moved back and lived with my parents for three impossibly long months and then moved into a tiny (about 900 square foot) duplex--the four of us.

Then because of a job situation, we moved here. I didn’t want to leave where we were. I threw one several of my impressive fits. Still, my husband came, interviewed, got the job and looked for a place for us to live. He found this place and rented it. Because of finances I never got a chance to see it until we pulled up with the moving van.

Here we were--spiritual baggage in tow, debts in hand, worse off financially than when we ran away in the beginning.

About four miles away from the place we ran away from.

I could hear God say, “Here is your second chance. Do it right this time.”

************************************
Promise I'll finish tomorrow!

Julie
Standing Firm/Staying Put: Part One

5 comments:

Coach J said...

Oh, Julie!! I hear you!! I never told you that I was in the same boat. Not financially, but spiritually before God. My dh and I lived in the back of the neighborhood where I lived with my parents before we got married. I intended on going to college and moving to a big town where I could get lost and not know anybody who knew me and my past. God had other plans and I ended up being 100 yards from where I started. :) God had me deal with some ugly things and tell my hubby the truth about all my past before He could release me to minister through coaching and move me physically. If I had not been where I was physically, I would never had changed spiritually. I know that I know that! Bow to Him, and let Him speak to You and take this precious time just to draw close to Him. I KNOW that's easier said than done, but I also KNOW that you'll come out more beautiful than you ever imagined!!
{hugs}

Coach J said...

I had to write about this today. I just had to remember. Come read.

MotoMom said...

Visiting from Jenny's blog.
Your words could almost be mine. We have been in our "starter" home almost 16 years now. Debt - got that from our foolish early years. I am at a point where for several reasons I just want out - out of the too small home, out of the neighborhood. I know that God has something out there for us. I also know that it will only be by His grace that we will be able to get out of debt and afford a new home anytime in the near future. Looking at the numbers it seems impossible to do anytime soon - however I know that He is bigger than budgets and obstacles.

luvmy4sons said...

Wow. What a journey...You certainly can say that you have known what it is like to be in plenty and to be in want! Waiting for the finish...

Linds said...

This is going to ring bells with so many people out there, Julie. Thanks for sharing and being real! It also helps to know just what to pray for too. I am looking forward to the next installment too!