This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Grains of Gratitude

An eleven day old baby.

I got to hold one this week.

A precious, sweet new soul—tiny and fresh and a gift from God. She joined a family as the sixth and joyfully welcomed child. Her oldest brother smiled when he told me about her. Both parents have that air of contented love about them. I was grateful her sweet mama let me hold her for a while and I was grateful to listen to her mother talk about their trust that the LORD will provide for each child the things that will help them grow to what He wants them to be. What a blessing.

A one-year-old’s birthday party.

My goddaughter’s birthday party.

Family and friends, food and fun, loud and joyful Celebrating the gift of a child’s milestone of one year. She sat on my lap for a bit, allowing me to hold her as long as I didn’t squish too tight or snuggle to close. We played with a pink stuffed dog and a brown stuffed horse. She delighted in playing, “watch the grown-ups dive for the toys when I throw them on the floor.” My sons had a great time and I got to sit and enjoy good company. All celebrating a child’s life.

Can you imagine over 2000 years ago Jesus was a baby, tiny and fresh from God? Stretching in His sleep, relying totally on the care of his parents. Can you imagine that He grew the first year and just like our children, reached milestones—rolling over, sitting up, crawling, striving to walk, talk…just like our children, just like us.

I am so grateful for a Savior who felt all of our feelings, experienced all of our experiences. In this busy time of year, during this time of run here, drive there, it is easy to feel disconnected from the true meaning of the holiday that is coming. My house still isn’t ready for Christmas, but this week I was given gifts to prepare my heart.

It’s beginning to look feel a lot more like Christmas.

What are you grateful for?

Grains of Gratitude is from Christine at Brady's Bunch.

5 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Loved this post... I love to think of christ going through such weakness when He created the world...He came as a BABY...not a grown man...wow! What a friend we have in Jesus!

Errant said...

congrats for the baby :)

It's impossible to count the blessings of God (Allah). We try to be thankful and ask God to accept our thanks and give us more. Coz he is the most generous and the most merciful.

Michelle M. said...

How wonderful!!

Reflecting Mom said...

I cannot enumerate the Lord's numerous blessings. He has blessed me and my family immensely. It's comforting to know that He is just there watching over us 24/7. Thanks for the post!

Carrie said...

Beautiful post, Julie. Thank you.