This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Acclimating

ac·cli·mate Verb /ˈakləˌmāt/ /əˈklīmit/

1. To accustom or become accustomed to a new climate or environment or new conditions; to adapt.
2. Respond physiologically or behaviorally to a change in a single environmental factor
3. Harden off (a plant)


I love it when I've finally acclimated to winter. I can wear one pair of normal socks in the house. I can wear one layer of clothing inside. I can open the door and not cringe. I can run out and warm up the car with a sweater thrown over my shoulders instead of completely bundling completely up. Hopefully it's not because I've added too many layers to my personal insulation. (I'm not stepping on the scale today to find out!)

Basically I've adapted to this winter and the snow and the wind and the cold.

Just in time for the weather to take a turn and show signs of spring.

But I'm not complaining. I am willing to return to warmer temperatures. I am willing to see the green grass and robins. I'd like to try to start (and acclimate a few garden plants this year).

Chameleons adapt to their surroundings to avoid sticking out and become an easy target for predators.

Acclimating to me seems like it should be a good thing. But I don't know that it always is.

I find myself acclimating to my surroundings pretty easily. I don't know about you, but I find myself out in "the world" on a daily basis. And it seems easier to acclimate myself to "the world" than to brace myself and hold on to the things I know to be better choices.

When the boys were little it seemed easier to stay insulated and, dare I say, safe. Now we are gone from home six and sometimes seven nights a week. We are surrounded by choices. Not all of them bad, but not all of them what I would wish for our family.

So often it seems easier to shed a few layers of personal convictions to avoid conflict and difficult discussions. It seems easier to at least avoid talking about beliefs and convictions anyway.

I am grateful that the LORD has blessed me and surrounded me by women who share my faith, but more and more I see, that while we can talk amongst ourselves, topics turn other directions when we are joined by others with different political or religious leanings.

Perhaps we are all acclimating.

How do you keep from acclimating to the world?

I have, in the past, "fasted" my blog for Lent. Considering that I haven't blogged for ages, and that there has been a pressure on my heart telling me it is time to return, I am fasting some other things and returning to my blog. Not all of my bloggy postings will be deep and spiritual, I am sure. But I feel the need to be obedient in returning. So...I am going to try. We shall see.

Heavenly Father, I thank you that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. You have created us to adapt and survive in many climates and situations. Please protect our hearts from becoming acclimated to worldly things. Help us to change our corner of the world to your glory. Amen.

Finding joy in all things,

Julie

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Although I've lived in a place where winter is cold snowy and icy every year, I've not ever acclimated to it. I hibernate as much as possible and the cold chills me through and through. I think when I was younger like you with a family at home it didn't bother me as much. I have, however, adapted as we must with all changes in our lives. Seasons bring big changes in more than one way. I'm glad you started blogging again. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Joyful Days said...

Ma,

Was I reading and commenting on yours, while you were doing the same on mine? Love it! Thanks for the encouragement. You are such a blessing!!

Julie

Happy Being Me said...

I find your reads very comforting, Thank you for sharing your view on acclamation (no matter what they maybe). Take care and may God continue to bless you and yours!
Katie