This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lenten Cleaning

I am an awful organizer--well that's not really true. I can organize. To me it's kind of like a Chinese puzzle that you shuffle the pieces around without taking them out. What I am awful at is getting rid of stuff. No one would ever accuse me of being a minimalist. But I am trying to pare down over Lent.

I've read some other blogger's Lenten cleaning schedule where they spend a week on a certain room. Sounds awesome deep cleaning like that, but I also have a hard time staying focused on one thing very long. So my 40 day goal is to move from room to room daily, each time getting another layer deeper in the hopes that by Easter the house will be in good shape (truthfully my goal is to be done by Passover).

I'm trying to be the tortoise and not the hare--my usual role model. I want to maintain and not get burnt out fifteen days into this.

To date, I have gone through both boys closets--shaking my head in amazement at what they have outgrown. Given away two large black trash bags full of clothes. I've mended some items so they can be used again. The living room has had a couple of minor rearrangements and boxes removed. The dining room has acquired some books from the living room. And the garage looks better. Well, to me anyway.

The garage is a metaphor for my life. Full of things that need to be offered in the Great Garage Sale, yard tools and the things we only use occasionally (like Christmas decorations). Things I should get rid of , things I should use to work and things to decorate. If you guessed that there are more decorations than anything else, you'd be correct.

I took a good portion of what was in the garage out to the driveway and rearranged so that the sale items and the left-over packing we can't seem to bear to part with are at the front, the yard tools are more towards the middle and the decorations are back. Hopefully the first two will be gone when we need the mower.

Since we moved to this house we've had the luxury of parking one car (mine) inside. What a treat when it is below freezing to get into a warm car. But my husband's poor car sat outside and we haven't been able to squeeze it in. What I accomplished was that now, if there was bad weather we could move a few things and  his car could come to shelter. We wouldn't be able to walk, but the car would be safe. My goal by Easter is that his car will find a permanent home in the garage. I'll revisit it next week. On to the kitchen and my room...

Step by baby step,
Counting it all joy,

Julie

2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have planned on doing one room at a time deep cleaning...so far I haven't started. The garage won't be a part of my cleaning..it'll have to wait. If and that is a big if I make it through 6 rooms here inside I'll be counting that all joy. Thankfully I can get the car in out of the weather.

gemma said...

We have a storage unit from our last (I hope it's the last)move. Slowly emptying but so so hard because the size of this house precludes saving anything and I save everything. I keep using that saying...how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.