This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, February 2, 2007

Skeletons in My Closet

I’ve had this happen more lately and it has surprised me. People find out our schooling choice and they say, “But you don’t look like homeschoolers!”

What do homeschoolers look like? Or act like? Because I think that is what they are saying too. Well all I know is that maybe one of the reasons we don’t look the part is that…shhhhhhhhhhh… We sometimes allow trashy TV.

Yup, uh-huh. We are “those” kind of people. We watch the wrong shows. And on top of that we listen to the wrong music, worship the wrong way and eat the wrong food. I am sure I school my children the wrong way. Seems like whatever someone I meet does, my family does the opposite.

Now most people are pretty good natured and accepting. They take us for who we are because we take them at face value too. But then… there are some people...

But about those viewing habits—You know, I really don’t watch that much television anymore. Somehow my HGTV, West Wing, JAG and ER got replaced by what the boys were watching. But we have videos. We have more videos than…well lets just say we have more videos than we should. And that is where the bulk of the viewing is done, with pre-recorded material. We watch shows that might terrify some. (Trust me, there are families who watch stuff I won’t, and that is fine. They get to choose that. ) We laugh at what I call “boy jokes.” And we have one reality show in particular that my children are waiting for the new season. We had two, but I couldn’t be chained to the television for more than one night a week. It cuts into my computer time, you know. <Snort>

Over five years ago (back when I was going to raise my children to be cultured and not watch television, and eat only healthy foods and say only perfect and polite things) we met a family that homeschooled one of their dc and the others went to public school. They were open and genuine people and their children were amazing.

When we visited their house they kindly showed us around. What really blew me away was they had more videos than Blockbuster. How could this be? Their children were sweet and thoughtful, polite and interesting. They had many hobbies. How did this happen with so much television allowed? Well apparently they didn’t watch alone. If someone was watching they had company. They talked about it.

So fast forward today. We are thousands of miles away from this dear family. But I still try to carry some of the lessons I learned from a more seasoned mom. We have a video collection and watch movies pretty regularly. We try not to let the boys watch alone. We try to have conversation and discuss why we choose what we do for our family. I am sure we fail miserably, but we try. Our eating habits…well let’s not go there…we try to be polite, but well…they are boys and I am working on it. We allow computer and <gasp> own an X-box 360. We do sneak in a bit of culture and call it fun and they don’t know the difference.

Trashy TV…well…I am sure my boys will tell you all about it with you sometime if you are around us enough. Let’s just say…well, all those people who accuse me of sheltering my boys would be surprised. But then I put them in ballet. That surprises a lot of people. My trash is however, non-violent. Their dad takes care of that area enough. Neither of us allows the trash that affects hormones. And if we watch a movie with you, well, we only watch Pooh with non-family…okay…maybe more than Pooh but you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Bss said...

We have a lot of videos, too. The kids watch tv, play way too much computer, and played their gameboy until it cried 'Uncle!' and died. Our diet could be healthier, too. lol The few homeschooling families that I have met over here seem to be on the liberal side. Granted, I met them only once at a homeschooling meeting and never saw them again. (They all live over an hour away)