This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, February 5, 2007

Why We Homeschool the Way We Do

Our Journey and Curriculum Choices
A Four Part Meandering & Musing

Part One the Instigators

The best thing about homeschooling is that each family should look a bit different. It is not a one size fits all proposition, although many will tell you otherwise.

I shared awhile back about why we homeschool, I thought I would add a bit and share how we got started homeschooling and how we homeschool. You would think to hear me talk that I have been doing it a long time and am an expert. I have been homeschooling for a long time because, as I’ve said it was on our hearts to teach our children at home before they were born. So that puts me at a little over nine years. Not claiming expert status, though. Just opinionated.

How did that happen? We had every intention of me going back to work after I had our baby. The only homeschoolers I knew of were from someone who knew someone and had an awful tale to tell. Why would I venture down that odd road?

I was working in an ophthalmology office and when I was pregnant with Roo I was introduced to two very different homeschool families. The first was a large family and the mother had need of the doctor I worked for.

When you work in a doctor’s office and you see a large family come in with many young, very young children you get a little nervous. But these children were so well behaved, not automatons, not Stepford children, but really sweet with great smiles.

Well the doctor I worked for was a chatter and she gave each patient a lot of time (which is a good thing if you are getting her attention but if you are the one waiting…not so much). I had taken the mom back to a room with her children and Doctor was running behind and I shut the exam door behind me wondering when the shrieking would start. But it never did. What started was the sweetest singing. So foreign to me to have children like this. I didn’t learn much about homeschooling from them, but it planted a seed. And I saw that children could be happy with little more than their mother and siblings to entertain them.

The second family was smaller—just two boys, I believe, one who came in because he was hit in the eye with a homemade arrow. I won’t let you fuss and wonder—it all turned out well, his eye ended up fine. But of course during a weekday when you have a child come in, hit with a homemade arrow by his brother, you start to ask questions. Like was school out that day? No. What where you doing? Well the arrow WAS part of school. Shooting each other had NOT been in Mom’s plan, but good trouper and boys’ mom that she was she was answering questions to a na├»ve and pregnant mommy-to-be about the joys of homeschooling, unit studies and all the while patiently waiting for the doctor to finish treating her son. The son was an adorable boy, well behaved for everything he went through. Well spoken and everything I wanted my not-born-baby to grow up to be.

I was hooked. How was I going to get my children to turn out that way? Who did I think I was, presuming I could teach my children anything more than how to tie their shoes and get past sippy-cups?

Research was in order.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

1 comment:

QuietMom said...

I love this series of posts. We started homeschooling the same way - "from the womb" we usually say.

Looking forward to reading more!