This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, April 2, 2007

Because There Just Weren't Enough Books on My List


Book update

What I didn’t put on the list and some new ideas.

I should know better. I really should. I am a reading addict. And I am also a book addict. You do know there is a difference—you can be one and not the other or you can be both.

Reading addicts consume books at an alarming rate, paying little attentions to things like laundry, deadlines and family. People whose need to read equals their need to breathe—those are reading addicts.

Some, it is said, can read a book once and be done with it. They often prefer to check out books from the library and then when they are done, return it without a backward glance. I don't know how they do that.

Book addicts love the smell of books. Old books, new ones, Barnes and Noble, Borders, The Half Priced Book Store, junky old shops, Costco and Sam’s, it does not matter. And book addicts like to surround themselves with books. Books are part of the d├ęcor, they are old friends, they are the grown-up version of a wubbie. Some book addicts aren’t really readers. They just have a weird affinity for books, perhaps thinking surrounding themselves with knowledge they will gain some, by say, osmosis or something. But most book addicts are also reading addicts. Research has proven it. (Whose research??? Ummmm…okay well MY OPINION.)

I, as I said, am both. And Katrina’s Spring Reading Thing in no way, shape or form helped me to fight my addiction. I am telling you Katrina…you just fueled the fire. And for that I am ever so grateful.

I should have kept my list short. But nooooooooooo. I made a pretty hefty list, I thought. And then I went visiting and found all these wonderful! Awesome! Amazing! other books other readers have on their lists. Waaaaaaaaaah. There is NOT enough time. Is there a job where I can get paid to read? Wait, but I don’t have enough time to do the OTHER things I like. I was up until 2:30 reading last night. And what about blogging. That takes time. And bloggy visiting. I should quit visiting everyone to peek at their list. But they have such great lists. And such great blogs.

And then there was the fact that once I hit Submit/Publish on my post I thought of ten or forty or so other books I still have on my list in a folder. What to do???

Some books and authors that didn’t make my blog list, but have been on my list forever include:

Last of the Mohicans
Les Miserables
Moby Dick
Re-reads of Rosamunde Pilcher’s many beloved stories
And Ladies of the Club… by Helen Hooven Santemeyer
My psychologist/professor friend’s text that I am halfway through.
Phillipa Gregory—I read the Queen’s Fool and was hooked.
HG Wells
CS Lewis
AW Tozer
GK Chesterton

Books I have snitched from others’ lists include:

The Worn Out Woman
Wicked
Stone Angel –Laurence
Hold on to Your Kids—Neufeld and Mate
Woe is I--Patricia O’Conner
Having a Mary Spirit—Joanna Weaver
The Tears of the Giraffe—Alexander McCall Smith
A Passion for Books

To name only a few.

I am not officially adding any of these, but if I can squeeze them in without compromising, say feeding the children, I am going to.

If your reading list is not long enough go visit Katrina over at Callapidder Days she has a Spring Reading Thing going on. Lots of readers joining. And even if you don’t want more on your reading list, go visit Katrina anyway. She’s beyond nice and her blog is very enjoyable.

8 comments:

Karen said...

I must confess...I am BOTH!!!

I won a contest from Write from Karen, and got the book the other day. It was a book I had been wanting for a while. I sat down Friday night to browse through it, as my husbands friend was over and they were watching what I refer to as a "man" movie (i.e. something I don't want to see) so I went into the bedroom to read. I stayed up all night and read the entire book. Then I read another I had set to the side (for when I found time) that I was dying to read (the James Patterson Women's Murder Club Series Book 1). I am know almost done with book 2....I must be strong and at least put some laundry in the machines:-)

Jenny in Ca said...

I have a book thing too. Do share some reviews after you are done!!

DebD said...

I have similar issues. I'm enjoying my Spring Reading Challenge because it keeps me from buying more books before I'm finished with the ones on my list.

I like the looks of your additions.

scribbit said...

Oh Les Miserables is wonderful--and Moby Dick not so much. I know it's a classic but I didn't care for it.

amy said...

your blog is so motivating.! I just had a contest and gave away my favorite boooks and I cant wait to do it again. I havent found time to read in sooo long

Liza's Eyeview said...

I think I am both, but a mild case :)

I still have not posted my "weirdness"... but when I do you'll find out how weird I really am :)

I need your honest opinion on something, can you please check the comments on my post "Success! well, sort of". Becky commented, I replied, and I need another third party opinion. Please visit when you get a chance. Thanks :)

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

Yup, I did the same thing. My list started out short, but since I read really quickly I've added to my list. I'll at least double my original list of 6. 12 is not a problem in 3 months, garden work or no garden work!
I really enjoyed The Stone Angel, I hope you do to.

Alice Teh said...

This entry made my heart sing!... I've found another person who is both a book and reading addict. YAY!

Les Miserables is on my TBR list. I'll definitely check out some of the titles you have listed here.

Enjoying your blog very much,
Alice